Early dissemination of circulating tumor cells: biological and clinical insights
Rothwell, Dominic G
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute Cancer Biomarker Centre, University of Manchester, Macclesfield, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCirculating tumor cells (CTCs) play a causal role in the development of metastasis, the major cause of cancer-associated mortality worldwide. In the past decade, the development of powerful cellular and molecular technologies has led to a better understanding of the molecular characteristics and timing of dissemination of CTCs during cancer progression. For instance, genotypic and phenotypic characterization of CTCs, at the single cell level, has shown that CTCs are heterogenous, disseminate early and could represent only a minor subpopulation of the primary tumor responsible for disease relapse. While the impact of molecular profiling of CTCs has not yet been translated to the clinic, CTC enumeration has been widely used as a prognostic biomarker to monitor treatment response and to predict disease relapse. However, previous studies have revealed a major challenge: the low abundance of CTCs in the bloodstream of patients with cancer, especially in early stage disease where the identification and characterization of subsequently "lethal" cells has potentially the greatest clinical relevance. The CTC field is rapidly evolving with development of new technologies to improve the sensitivity of CTC detection, enumeration, isolation, and molecular profiling. Here we examine the technical and analytical validity of CTC technologies, we summarize current data on the biology of CTCs that disseminate early and review CTC-based clinical applications.
CitationChemi F, Mohan S, Guevara T, Clipson A, Rothwell DG, Dive C. Early Dissemination of Circulating Tumor Cells: Biological and Clinical Insights. Front Oncol. 2021 May 7;11.
JournalFrontiers in Oncology
- Exploration of Circulating Tumour Cell (CTC) Biology: A Paradigm Shift in Liquid Biopsy.
- Authors: Chauhan A, Kaur R, Ghoshal S, Pal A
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Implications of the Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition.
- Authors: Lowes LE, Allan AL
- Issue date: 2018
- The Evolving Role of Circulating Tumor Cells in the Personalized Management of Breast Cancer: from Enumeration to Molecular Characterization.
- Authors: Sarangi S, Mosulpuria K, Higgins MJ, Bardia A
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Circulating tumor cells as promising novel biomarkers in solid cancers.
- Authors: Lianidou ES, Strati A, Markou A
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- NanoVelcro rare-cell assays for detection and characterization of circulating tumor cells.
- Authors: Jan YJ, Chen JF, Zhu Y, Lu YT, Chen SH, Chung H, Smalley M, Huang YW, Dong J, Chen LC, Yu HH, Tomlinson JS, Hou S, Agopian VG, Posadas EM, Tseng HR
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 1