Response to 'A call to standardize the BCC: SCC ratio': reply from authors
AffiliationDepartment of Dermatology, St George's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe thank Ma et al. for suggesting the inclusion of in-situ squamous cell carcinoma (SCC-IS) to the commonly used ratio, basal cell carcinoma (BCC):SCC. Indeed, we concur with the authors that superficial BCC is usually managed similarly to SCC-IS. However, equating superficial BCC with a precursor lesion (SCC-IS) on the basis of similar management approaches, would be a confusing strategy. The strength of the BCC:SCC ratio lies in its ability to facilitate easy comparison of incidence rates between what is generally considered a relatively innocuous keratinocyte tumour (BCC),1 with that of one that carries significant metastatic potential (invasive SCC).2.
CitationJiyad Z, Marquart L, Green AC. Response to ‘A call to standardize the BCC: SCC ratio’: reply from authors. British Journal of Dermatology. 2021 May 16.
JournalBritish Journal of Dermatology
- Response to 'A call to standardize the BCC:SCC ratio'.
- Authors: Ma BC, Sahni VN, Edwards LD, Sahni DR, Secrest AM
- Issue date: 2021 May 16
- A call to standardize the BCC:SCC ratio.
- Authors: Jiyad Z, Marquart L, Green AC
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Citrus consumption and risk of basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the skin.
- Authors: Wu S, Cho E, Feskanich D, Li WQ, Sun Q, Han J, Qureshi AA
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The efficacy of photodynamic therapy in treatment of recurrent squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Farhadi M, Kamrava SK, Behzadi AH, Rafiezadeh P, Asghari A, Rezvan F, Maleki S
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Declining incidence of keratinocyte carcinoma in organ transplant recipients.
- Authors: Menzies S, O'Leary E, Callaghan G, Galligan M, Deady S, Gadallah B, Lenane P, Lally A, Houlihan DD, Morris PG, Sexton DJ, McCormick PA, Egan JJ, O'Neill JP, Conlon PJ, Moloney FJ
- Issue date: 2019 Nov