AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is a critical sensor of energy status that coordinates cell growth with energy balance. In non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) the role of AMPKα is controversial and its contribution to lung carcinogenesis is not well-defined. Furthermore, it remains largely unknown whether long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) are involved in the regulation of AMPK-mediated pathways. Here, we found that loss of AMPKα in combination with activation of mutant KRASG12D increased lung tumour burden and reduced survival in KrasLSLG12D/+/AMPKαfl/fl mice. In agreement, functional in vitro studies revealed that AMPKα silencing increased growth and migration of NSCLC cells. In addition, we identified an AMPKα-modulated lncRNA, KIMAT1 (ENSG00000228709), which in turn regulates AMPKα activation by stabilizing the lactate dehydrogenase B (LDHB). Collectively, our study indicates that AMPKα loss promotes KRAS-mediated lung tumorigenesis and proposes a novel KRAS/KIMAT1/LDHB/AMPKα axis that could be exploited for therapeutic purposes.
CitationLa Montagna M, Shi L, Magee P, Sahoo S, Fassan M, Garofalo M. AMPKα loss promotes KRAS-mediated lung tumorigenesis. Cell Death Differ. 2021 May 26.
JournalCell Death and Differentiation
- A KRAS-responsive long non-coding RNA controls microRNA processing.
- Authors: Shi L, Magee P, Fassan M, Sahoo S, Leong HS, Lee D, Sellers R, Brullé-Soumaré L, Cairo S, Monteverde T, Volinia S, Smith DD, Di Leva G, Galuppini F, Paliouras AR, Zeng K, O'Keefe R, Garofalo M
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- AMPK is essential for IL-10 expression and for maintaining balance between inflammatory and cytoprotective signaling.
- Authors: Guragain D, Gurung P, Chang JH, Katila N, Chang HW, Jeong BS, Choi DY, Kim JA
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- β-elemene suppresses Warburg effect in NCI-H1650 non-small-cell lung cancer cells by regulating the miR-301a-3p/AMPKα axis.
- Authors: Li L, Zhao D, Cheng G, Li Q, Chu Y, Chu H, Ding Y, Li C
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 26
- Chinese herbal medicine Xiaoji decoction inhibited growth of lung cancer cells through AMPKα-mediated inhibition of Sp1 and DNA methyltransferase 1.
- Authors: Zhao S, Wu J, Tang Q, Zheng F, Yang L, Chen Y, Li L, Hann SS
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 2
- Genetic Analysis Reveals AMPK Is Required to Support Tumor Growth in Murine Kras-Dependent Lung Cancer Models.
- Authors: Eichner LJ, Brun SN, Herzig S, Young NP, Curtis SD, Shackelford DB, Shokhirev MN, Leblanc M, Vera LI, Hutchins A, Ross DS, Shaw RJ, Svensson RU
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 5