AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is a critical sensor of energy status that coordinates cell growth with energy balance. In non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) the role of AMPKα is controversial and its contribution to lung carcinogenesis is not well-defined. Furthermore, it remains largely unknown whether long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) are involved in the regulation of AMPK-mediated pathways. Here, we found that loss of AMPKα in combination with activation of mutant KRASG12D increased lung tumour burden and reduced survival in KrasLSLG12D/+/AMPKαfl/fl mice. In agreement, functional in vitro studies revealed that AMPKα silencing increased growth and migration of NSCLC cells. In addition, we identified an AMPKα-modulated lncRNA, KIMAT1 (ENSG00000228709), which in turn regulates AMPKα activation by stabilizing the lactate dehydrogenase B (LDHB). Collectively, our study indicates that AMPKα loss promotes KRAS-mediated lung tumorigenesis and proposes a novel KRAS/KIMAT1/LDHB/AMPKα axis that could be exploited for therapeutic purposes.
CitationLa Montagna M, Shi L, Magee P, Sahoo S, Fassan M, Garofalo M. AMPKα loss promotes KRAS-mediated lung tumorigenesis. Cell Death Differ. 2021 May 26.
JournalCell Death and Differentiation
- Targeting lactate dehydrogenase B-dependent mitochondrial metabolism affects tumor initiating cells and inhibits tumorigenesis of non-small cell lung cancer by inducing mtDNA damage.
- Authors: Deng H, Gao Y, Trappetti V, Hertig D, Karatkevich D, Losmanova T, Urzi C, Ge H, Geest GA, Bruggmann R, Djonov V, Nuoffer JM, Vermathen P, Zamboni N, Riether C, Ochsenbein A, Peng RW, Kocher GJ, Schmid RA, Dorn P, Marti TM
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 25
- A KRAS-responsive long non-coding RNA controls microRNA processing.
- Authors: Shi L, Magee P, Fassan M, Sahoo S, Leong HS, Lee D, Sellers R, Brullé-Soumaré L, Cairo S, Monteverde T, Volinia S, Smith DD, Di Leva G, Galuppini F, Paliouras AR, Zeng K, O'Keefe R, Garofalo M
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- Loss of p53 attenuates the contribution of IL-6 deletion on suppressed tumor progression and extended survival in Kras-driven murine lung cancer.
- Authors: Tan X, Carretero J, Chen Z, Zhang J, Wang Y, Chen J, Li X, Ye H, Tang C, Cheng X, Hou N, Yang X, Wong KK
- Issue date: 2013
- The AMPK-HOXB9-KRAS axis regulates lung adenocarcinoma growth in response to cellular energy alterations.
- Authors: Wang T, Guo H, Li Q, Wu W, Yu M, Zhang L, Li C, Song J, Wang Z, Zhang J, Tang Y, Kang L, Zhang H, Zhan J
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 23
- PIK3CA(H1047R) Accelerates and Enhances KRAS(G12D)-Driven Lung Tumorigenesis.
- Authors: Green S, Trejo CL, McMahon M
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 15