Anti-inflammatory drugs remodel the tumor immune environment to enhance immune checkpoint blockade efficacy
AuthorsPelly, Victoria S
Roelofsen, L. M.
Bell, Charlotte R
Bromley, Christian P
Schumacher, T. N.
AffiliationCancer Inflammation and Immunity, CRUK Manchester Institute.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIdentifying strategies to improve the efficacy of immune checkpoint blockade (ICB) remains a major clinical need. Here, we show that therapeutically targeting the COX-2/PGE2/EP2-4 pathway with widely used non-steroidal and steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs synergized with ICB in mouse cancer models. We exploited a bilateral surgery model to distinguish responders from non-responders shortly following treatment and identified acute IFN-γ-driven transcriptional remodeling in responder mice, which was also associated with patient benefit to ICB. Monotherapy with COX-2 inhibitors or EP2-4 PGE2 receptor antagonists rapidly induced this response program and, in combination with ICB, increased the intratumoral accumulation of effector T cells. Treatment of patient-derived tumor fragments from multiple cancer types revealed a similar shift in the tumor inflammatory environment to favor T cell activation. Our findings establish the COX-2/PGE2/EP2-4 axis as an independent immune checkpoint and a readily translatable strategy to rapidly switch the tumor inflammatory profile from cold to hot.
CitationPelly VS, Moeini A, Roelofsen LM, Bonavita E, Bell CR, Hutton C, et al. Anti-inflammatory drugs remodel the tumor immune environment to enhance immune checkpoint blockade efficacy. Cancer Discov. 2021 May 24;candisc.1815.2020.
- Local and Targeted Delivery of Immune Checkpoint Blockade Therapeutics.
- Authors: Han X, Li H, Zhou D, Chen Z, Gu Z
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 17
- Heterologous prime-boost vaccination targeting MAGE-type antigens promotes tumor T-cell infiltration and improves checkpoint blockade therapy.
- Authors: McAuliffe J, Chan HF, Noblecourt L, Ramirez-Valdez RA, Pereira-Almeida V, Zhou Y, Pollock E, Cappuccini F, Redchenko I, Hill AV, Leung CSK, Van den Eynde BJ
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Biomarkers of Immune Checkpoint Blockade Response in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Isaacs J, Anders C, McArthur H, Force J
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 20
- Therapeutically Increasing MHC-I Expression Potentiates Immune Checkpoint Blockade.
- Authors: Gu SS, Zhang W, Wang X, Jiang P, Traugh N, Li Z, Meyer C, Stewig B, Xie Y, Bu X, Manos MP, Font-Tello A, Gjini E, Lako A, Lim K, Conway J, Tewari AK, Zeng Z, Sahu AD, Tokheim C, Weirather JL, Fu J, Zhang Y, Kroger B, Liang JH, Cejas P, Freeman GJ, Rodig S, Long HW, Gewurz BE, Hodi FS, Brown M, Liu XS
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- A bilateral tumor model identifies transcriptional programs associated with patient response to immune checkpoint blockade.
- Authors: Chen IX, Newcomer K, Pauken KE, Juneja VR, Naxerova K, Wu MW, Pinter M, Sen DR, Singer M, Sharpe AH, Jain RK
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 22