Challenges in the target volume definition of lung cancer radiotherapy
AffiliationFaculty of Health Science, University of Malta, Msida, Malta.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy, with or without systemic treatment has an important role in the management of lung cancer. In order to deliver the treatment accurately, the clinician must precisely outline the gross tumour volume (GTV), mostly on computed tomography (CT) images. However, due to the limited contrast between tumour and non-malignant changes in the lung tissue, it can be difficult to distinguish the tumour boundaries on CT images leading to large interobserver variation and differences in interpretation. Therefore the definition of the GTV has often been described as the weakest link in radiotherapy with its inaccuracy potentially leading to missing the tumour or unnecessarily irradiating normal tissue. In this article, we review the various techniques that can be used to reduce delineation uncertainties in lung cancer.
CitationMercieca S, Belderbos JSA, van Herk M. Challenges in the target volume definition of lung cancer radiotherapy. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2021 Apr;10(4):1983–98.
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- The contribution of integrated PET/CT to the evolving definition of treatment volumes in radiation treatment planning in lung cancer.
- Authors: Ashamalla H, Rafla S, Parikh K, Mokhtar B, Goswami G, Kambam S, Abdel-Dayem H, Guirguis A, Ross P, Evola A
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 15
- Tumour delineation in oesophageal cancer - A prospective study of delineation in PET and CT with and without endoscopically placed clip markers.
- Authors: Thomas L, Lapa C, Bundschuh RA, Polat B, Sonke JJ, Guckenberger M
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography-based radiotherapy target volume definition in non-small-cell lung cancer: delineation by radiation oncologists vs. joint outlining with a PET radiologist?
- Authors: Hanna GG, Carson KJ, Lynch T, McAleese J, Cosgrove VP, Eakin RL, Stewart DP, Zatari A, O'Sullivan JM, Hounsell AR
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 15
- Comparison of different methods for delineation of 18F-FDG PET-positive tissue for target volume definition in radiotherapy of patients with non-Small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Nestle U, Kremp S, Schaefer-Schuler A, Sebastian-Welsch C, Hellwig D, Rübe C, Kirsch CM
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Intra-tumour 18F-FDG uptake heterogeneity decreases the reliability on target volume definition with positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging.
- Authors: Dong X, Wu P, Sun X, Li W, Wan H, Yu J, Xing L
- Issue date: 2015 Jun