Update of the EPTN atlas for CT- and MR-based contouring in Neuro-Oncology
AuthorsEekers, D. B. P.
Di Perri, D.
Burnet, Neil G
Coremans, I. E. M.
Klaver, Y. L. B.
Romero, A. M.
van der Weide, H. L.
Whitfield, Gillian A
Nyström, P. W.
De Ruysscher, D
Weber, D. C
Troost, E. G. C.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology (Maastro), GROW School for Oncology, Maastricht University Medical Centre+, The Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground and purpose: To update the digital online atlas for organs at risk (OARs) delineation in neuro-oncology based on high-quality computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MR) imaging with new OARs. Materials and methods: In this planned update of the neurological contouring atlas published in 2018, ten new clinically relevant OARs were included, after thorough discussion between experienced neuro-radiation oncologists (RTOs) representing 30 European radiotherapy-oncology institutes. Inclusion was based on daily practice and research requirements. Consensus was reached for the delineation after critical review. Contouring was performed on registered CT with intravenous (IV) contrast (soft tissue & bone window setting) and 3 Tesla (T) MRI (T1 with gadolinium & T2 FLAIR) images of one patient (1 mm slices). For illustration purposes, delineation on a 7 T MRI without IV contrast from a healthy volunteer was added. OARs were delineated by three experienced RTOs and a neuroradiologist based on the relevant literature. Results: The presented update of the neurological contouring atlas was reviewed and approved by 28 experts in the field. The atlas is available online and includes in total 25 OARs relevant to neuro-oncology, contoured on CT and MRI T1 and FLAIR (3 T & 7 T). Three-dimensional (3D) rendered films are also available online. Conclusion: In order to further decrease inter- and intra-observer OAR delineation variability in the field of neuro-oncology, we propose the use of this contouring atlas in photon and particle therapy, in clinical practice and in the research setting. The updated atlas is freely available on www.cancerdata.org.
CitationEekers DBP, Di Perri D, Roelofs E, Postma A, Dijkstra J, Ajithkumar T, et al. Update of the EPTN atlas for CT- and MR-based contouring in Neuro-Oncology. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021 Jul;160:259–65.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- The EPTN consensus-based atlas for CT- and MR-based contouring in neuro-oncology.
- Authors: Eekers DB, In 't Ven L, Roelofs E, Postma A, Alapetite C, Burnet NG, Calugaru V, Compter I, Coremans IEM, Høyer M, Lambrecht M, Nyström PW, Méndez Romero A, Paulsen F, Perpar A, de Ruysscher D, Renard L, Timmermann B, Vitek P, Weber DC, van der Weide HL, Whitfield GA, Wiggenraad R, Troost EGC, “European Particle Therapy Network” of ESTRO.
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- MRI-Based Upper Abdominal Organs-at-Risk Atlas for Radiation Oncology.
- Authors: Lukovic J, Henke L, Gani C, Kim TK, Stanescu T, Hosni A, Lindsay P, Erickson B, Khor R, Eccles C, Boon C, Donker M, Jagavkar R, Nowee ME, Hall WA, Parikh P, Dawson LA
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 15
- AAR-RT - A system for auto-contouring organs at risk on CT images for radiation therapy planning: Principles, design, and large-scale evaluation on head-and-neck and thoracic cancer cases.
- Authors: Wu X, Udupa JK, Tong Y, Odhner D, Pednekar GV, Simone CB 2nd, McLaughlin D, Apinorasethkul C, Apinorasethkul O, Lukens J, Mihailidis D, Shammo G, James P, Tiwari A, Wojtowicz L, Camaratta J, Torigian DA
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Radiation dose constraints for organs at risk in neuro-oncology; the European Particle Therapy Network consensus.
- Authors: Lambrecht M, Eekers DBP, Alapetite C, Burnet NG, Calugaru V, Coremans IEM, Fossati P, Høyer M, Langendijk JA, Méndez Romero A, Paulsen F, Perpar A, Renard L, de Ruysscher D, Timmermann B, Vitek P, Weber DC, van der Weide HL, Whitfield GA, Wiggenraad R, Roelofs E, Nyström PW, Troost EGC, work package 1 of the taskforce “European Particle Therapy Network” of ESTRO.
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Delineation of target volumes and organs at risk in adjuvant radiotherapy of early breast cancer: national guidelines and contouring atlas by the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.
- Authors: Nielsen MH, Berg M, Pedersen AN, Andersen K, Glavicic V, Jakobsen EH, Jensen I, Josipovic M, Lorenzen EL, Nielsen HM, Stenbygaard L, Thomsen MS, Vallentin S, Zimmermann S, Offersen BV, Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group Radiotherapy Committee.
- Issue date: 2013 May