Second allogeneic transplants for multiple myeloma: a report from the EBMT Chronic Malignancies Working Party
AuthorsHayden, P. J.
Eikema, D. J.
de Wreede, L. C.
Veelken, J. H.
Carella, A. M.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Trinity College Dublin, St. James's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe EBMT Chronic Malignancies Working Party performed a retrospective analysis of 215 patients who underwent a second allo-HCT for myeloma between 1994 and 2017, 159 for relapse and 56 for graft failure. In the relapse group, overall survival (OS) was 38% (30-46%) at 2 years and 25% (17-32%) at 5 years. Patients who had a HLA-identical sibling (HLAid-Sib) donor for their first and second transplants had superior OS (5 year OS: HLAid-Sib/HLAid-Sib: 35% (24-46%); Others 9% (0-17%), p < 0.001). There was a significantly higher incidence of acute grade II-IV GvHD in those patients who had also developed GvHD following their initial HLA-identical sibling allo-HCT (HLAid-Sib/HLAid-Sib: 50% (33-67%); Other 22% (8-36%), p = 0.03). More as opposed to fewer than 2 years between transplants was associated with superior 5-yr OS (31% (21-40%) vs. 10% (1-20%), P = 0.005). On multivariate analysis, consecutive HLA-identical sibling donor transplants conferred a significant OS advantage (0.4 (0.24-0.67), p < 0.001). In the graft failure group, OS was 41% at 2 years. In summary, a second allo-HCT using a HLA-identical sibling donor, if available, provides the best transplant outcomes for relapsed myeloma in this setting.
CitationHayden PJ, Eikema D-J, de Wreede LC, Koster L, Kröger N, Einsele H, et al. Second allogeneic transplants for multiple myeloma: a report from the EBMT Chronic Malignancies Working Party. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2021 May 11.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Outcomes following second allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation in patients with myelofibrosis: a retrospective study of the Chronic Malignancies Working Party of EBMT.
- Authors: Nabergoj M, Mauff K, Robin M, Kröger N, Angelucci E, Poiré X, Passweg J, Radujkovic A, Platzbecker U, Robinson S, Rambaldi A, Petersen SL, Stölzel F, Stelljes M, Ciceri F, Mayer J, Ladetto M, de Wreede LC, Koster L, Hayden PJ, Czerw T, Hernández-Boluda JC, McLornan D, Chalandon Y, Yakoub-Agha I
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Outcome of haploidentical versus matched sibling donors in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for adult patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a study from the Acute Leukemia Working Party of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Authors: Nagler A, Labopin M, Houhou M, Aljurf M, Mousavi A, Hamladji RM, Al Zahrani M, Bondarenko S, Arat M, Angelucci E, Koc Y, Gülbas Z, Sica S, Bourhis JH, Canaani J, Brissot E, Giebel S, Mohty M
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- Allogeneic stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma relapsed after autograft: a multicenter retrospective study based on donor availability.
- Authors: Patriarca F, Einsele H, Spina F, Bruno B, Isola M, Nozzoli C, Nozza A, Sperotto A, Morabito F, Stuhler G, Festuccia M, Bosi A, Fanin R, Corradini P
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Reducing Treatment-Related Mortality Did Not Improve Outcomes of Allogeneic Myeloablative Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for High-Risk Multiple Myeloma: A University of Michigan Prospective Series.
- Authors: Pawarode A, Mineishi S, Reddy P, Braun TM, Khaled YA, Choi SW, Magenau JM, Harris AC, Connelly JA, Kitko CL, Parkin BL, Goldstein SC, Yanik GA, Levine JE, Ferrara JL, Couriel DR
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Outcome of Second Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation after Relapse of Myeloid Malignancies following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation: A Retrospective Cohort on Behalf of the Grupo Español de Trasplante Hematopoyetico.
- Authors: Orti G, Sanz J, Bermudez A, Caballero D, Martinez C, Sierra J, Cabrera Marin JR, Espigado I, Solano C, Ferrà C, García-Noblejas A, Jimenez S, Sampol A, Yañez L, García-Gutiérrez V, Pascual MJ, Jurado M, Moraleda JM, Valcarcel D, Sanz MA, Carreras E, Duarte RF
- Issue date: 2016 Mar