The role of local therapy in the treatment of solitary melanoma progression on immune checkpoint inhibition: A multicentre retrospective analysis
AuthorsVersluis, J. M.
Hendriks, A. M.
Weppler, A. M.
Brown, L. J.
de Joode, K.
Suijkerbuijk, K. P. M.
Kapiteijn, E. W.
Johnson, D. B.
Jansen, Y. J. L.
Lorigan, Paul C
Ascierto, P. A.
Menzies, A. M.
Long, G. V.
van der Veldt, A. A. M.
Carlino, M. S.
van Tinteren, H.
de Vries, E. G. E.
Blank, C. U
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: In patients with metastatic melanoma, progression of a single tumour lesion (solitary progression) after response to immune checkpoint inhibition (ICI) is increasingly treated with local therapy. We evaluated the role of local therapy for solitary progression in melanoma. Patients and methods: Patients with metastatic melanoma treated with ICI between 2010 and 2019 with solitary progression as first progressive event were included from 17 centres in 9 countries. Follow-up and survival are reported from ICI initiation. Results: We identified 294 patients with solitary progression after stable disease in 15%, partial response in 55% and complete response in 30%. The median follow-up was 43 months; the median time to solitary progression was 13 months, and the median time to subsequent progression after treatment of solitary progression (TTSP) was 33 months. The estimated 3-year overall survival (OS) was 79%; median OS was not reached. Treatment consisted of systemic therapy (18%), local therapy (36%), both combined (42%) or active surveillance (4%). In 44% of patients treated for solitary progression, no subsequent progression occurred. For solitary progression during ICI (n = 143), the median TTSP was 29 months. Both TTSP and OS were similar for local therapy, ICI continuation and both combined. For solitary progression post ICI (n = 151), the median TTSP was 35 months. TTSP was higher for ICI recommencement plus local therapy than local therapy or ICI recommencement alone (p = 0.006), without OS differences. Conclusion: Almost half of patients with melanoma treated for solitary progression after initial response to ICI had no subsequent progression. This study suggests that local therapy can benefit patients and is associated with favourable long-term outcomes.
CitationVersluis JM, Hendriks AM, Weppler AM, Brown LJ, de Joode K, Suijkerbuijk KPM, et al. The role of local therapy in the treatment of solitary melanoma progression on immune checkpoint inhibition: A multicentre retrospective analysis. European Journal of Cancer. 2021 Jul;151:72–83.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Real-life data for first-line combination immune-checkpoint inhibition and targeted therapy in patients with melanoma brain metastases.
- Authors: Hilbers ML, Dimitriou F, Lau P, Bhave P, McArthur GA, Zimmer L, Kudura K, Gérard CL, Levesque MP, Michielin O, Dummer R, Cheng PF, Mangana J
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Impact of a preceding radiotherapy on the outcome of immune checkpoint inhibition in metastatic melanoma: a multicenter retrospective cohort study of the DeCOG.
- Authors: Knispel S, Stang A, Zimmer L, Lax H, Gutzmer R, Heinzerling L, Weishaupt C, Pföhler C, Gesierich A, Herbst R, Kaehler KC, Weide B, Berking C, Loquai C, Utikal J, Terheyden P, Kaatz M, Schlaak M, Kreuter A, Ulrich J, Mohr P, Dippel E, Livingstone E, Becker JC, Weichenthal M, Chorti E, Gronewold J, Schadendorf D, Ugurel S
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Bempegaldesleukin Plus Nivolumab in First-Line Metastatic Melanoma.
- Authors: Diab A, Tykodi SS, Daniels GA, Maio M, Curti BD, Lewis KD, Jang S, Kalinka E, Puzanov I, Spira AI, Cho DC, Guan S, Puente E, Nguyen T, Hoch U, Currie SL, Lin W, Tagliaferri MA, Zalevsky J, Sznol M, Hurwitz ME
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 10
- Survival Outcomes After Metastasectomy in Melanoma Patients Categorized by Response to Checkpoint Blockade.
- Authors: Bello DM, Panageas KS, Hollmann T, Shoushtari AN, Momtaz P, Chapman PB, Postow MA, Callahan MK, Wolchok JD, Brady MS, Coit DG, Ariyan CE
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Age-Based Disparities in Metastatic Melanoma Patients Treated in the Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors (ICI) <i>Versus</i> Non-ICI Era: A Population-Based Study.
- Authors: Safi M, Al-Azab M, Jin C, Trapani D, Baldi S, Adlat S, Wang A, Ahmad B, Al-Madani H, Shan X, Liu J
- Issue date: 2021