Treatment patterns and outcomes of unfit and elderly patients with Mantle cell lymphoma unfit for standard immunochemotherapy: A UK and Ireland analysis
Wilson, M. R.
Eyre, T. A.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Oxford University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Oxford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMantle cell lymphoma (MCL) presenting in elderly, unfit patients represents a clinical challenge. Front-line 'attenuated' or low-intensity immunochemotherapy is often employed, although outcomes are relatively unexplored. We report outcomes of attenuated immunochemotherapy in 95 patients with MCL across 19 centres in the UK and Ireland considered unfit for full-dose rituximab-bendamustine or rituximab-cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, prednisolone (R-CHOP). Regimens examined were rituximab-cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisolone (R-CVP) (n = 19), dose-attenuated R-CHOP (n = 22), dose attenuated rituximab-bendamustine (n = 24) and rituximab-chlorambucil (n = 30). The primary outcome was progression-free survival (PFS). The secondary outcomes included overall response, overall survival (OS) and toxicity. The median (range) age was 79 (58-89) years and 50% were aged ≥80 years. The median (range) Cumulative Illness Rating Scale-Geriatric score was 6 (0-24). The median PFS for all patients was 15 months [95% confidence interval (CI) 8·7-21·2) and median OS was 31·4 months (95% CI 19·7-43·2). By multivariable analysis (MVA), the only clinical factor associated with an inferior PFS was blastoid morphology [hazard ratio (HR) 2·90, P = 0·01). Notably, higher treatment intensity (R-CHOP/R-bendamustine composite) provided an independently superior PFS compared with R-CVP/R-chlorambucil (MVA HR 0·49, P = 0·02). Factors associated with inferior OS by MVA were Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance Status (HR 2·14, P = 0·04), blastoid morphology (HR 4·08, P = 0·001) and progression of disease at <24 months status (HR 5·68, P < 0·001). Overall, survival after front-line dose-attenuated immunochemotherapy is unsatisfactory. Clinical trials investigating novel agents such as Bruton tyrosine kinase and B-cell lymphoma 2 inhibitors in this specific clinical setting are warranted.
CitationRampotas A, Wilson MR, Lomas O, Denny N, Leary H, Ferguson G, et al. Treatment patterns and outcomes of unfit and elderly patients with Mantle cell lymphoma unfit for standard immunochemotherapy: A UK and Ireland analysis. Br J Haematol. 2021 May 7.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- First-line R-CVP versus R-CHOP induction immunochemotherapy for indolent lymphoma with rituximab maintenance. A multicentre, phase III randomized study by the Polish Lymphoma Research Group PLRG4.
- Authors: Walewski J, Paszkiewicz-Kozik E, Michalski W, Rymkiewicz G, Szpila T, Butrym A, Giza A, Zaucha JM, Kalinka-Warzocha E, Wieczorkiewicz A, Zimowska-Curyło D, Knopińska-Posłuszny W, Tyczyńska A, Romejko-Jarosińska J, Dąbrowska-Iwanicka A, Gruszecka B, Jamrozek-Jedlińska M, Borawska A, Hołda W, Porowska A, Romanowicz A, Hellmann A, Stella-Hołowiecka B, Deptała A, Jurczak W
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Bendamustine and rituximab as induction therapy in both transplant-eligible and -ineligible patients with mantle cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Villa D, Sehn LH, Savage KJ, Toze CL, Song K, den Brok WD, Freeman CL, Scott DW, Gerrie AS
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 11
- Bendamustine plus rituximab versus CHOP plus rituximab as first-line treatment for patients with indolent and mantle-cell lymphomas: an open-label, multicentre, randomised, phase 3 non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Rummel MJ, Niederle N, Maschmeyer G, Banat GA, von Grünhagen U, Losem C, Kofahl-Krause D, Heil G, Welslau M, Balser C, Kaiser U, Weidmann E, Dürk H, Ballo H, Stauch M, Roller F, Barth J, Hoelzer D, Hinke A, Brugger W, Study group indolent Lymphomas (StiL).
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 6
- First-Line Treatment of Patients With Indolent Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma or Mantle-Cell Lymphoma With Bendamustine Plus Rituximab Versus R-CHOP or R-CVP: Results of the BRIGHT 5-Year Follow-Up Study.
- Authors: Flinn IW, van der Jagt R, Kahl B, Wood P, Hawkins T, MacDonald D, Simpson D, Kolibaba K, Issa S, Chang J, Trotman J, Hallman D, Chen L, Burke JM
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 20
- Factors influencing outcome in advanced stage, low-grade follicular lymphoma treated at MD Anderson Cancer Center in the rituximab era.
- Authors: Cheah CY, Chihara D, Ahmed M, Davis RE, Nastoupil LJ, Phansalkar K, Hagemeister FB, Fayad LE, Westin JR, Oki Y, Fanale MA, Romaguera JE, Wang ML, Lee H, Turturro F, Samaniego F, Rodriguez MA, Neelapu SS, Fowler NH
- Issue date: 2016 May