EPAC-lung: European pooled analysis of the prognostic value of circulating tumour cells in small cell lung cancer
Lindsay, Colin R
Krebs, Matthew G
Groen, H. J. M.
Hiltermann, T. J. N.
de Luca, A.
Renehan, Andrew G
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute Cancer Biomarker Centre, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, U
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Circulating tumour cell (CTC) number is an independent prognostic factor in patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC) but there is no consensus on the CTC threshold for prognostic significance. We undertook a pooled analysis of individual patient data to clinically validate CTC enumeration and threshold for prognostication. Methods: Four European cancer centres, experienced in CellSearch CTC enumeration for SCLC provided pseudo anonymised data for patients who had undergone pre-treatment CTC count. Data was collated, and Cox regression models, stratified by centre, explored the relationship between CTC count and survival. The added value of incorporating CTCs into clinico-pathological models was investigated using likelihood ratio tests. Results: A total of 367 patient records were evaluated. A one-unit increase in log-transformed CTC counts corresponded to an estimated hazard ratio (HR) of 1.24 (95% CI: 1.19-1.29, P<0.0001) for progression free survival (PFS) and 1.23 (95% CI: 1.18-1.28, P<0.0001) for overall survival (OS). CTC count of ≥15 or ≥50 was significantly associated with an increased risk of progression (CTC ≥15: HR 3.20, 95% CI: 2.50-4.09, P<0.001; CTC ≥50: HR 2.56, 95% CI: 2.01-3.25, P<0.001) and an increased risk of death (CTC ≥15: HR 2.90, 95% CI: 2.28-3.70, P<0.001; CTC ≥50: HR 2.47, 95% CI: 1.95-3.13, P<0.001). There was no significant inter-centre heterogeneity observed. Addition of CTC count to clinico-pathological models as a continuous log-transformed variable, offers further prognostic value (both likelihood ratio P<0.001 for OS and PFS). Conclusions: Higher pre-treatment CTC counts are a negative independent prognostic factor in SCLC when considered as a continuous variable or dichotomised counts of ≥15 or ≥50. Incorporating CTC counts, as a continuous variable, improves clinic-pathological prognostic models.
CitationFoy V, Lindsay CR, Carmel A, Fernandez-Gutierrez F, Krebs MG, Priest L, et al. EPAC-lung: European pooled analysis of the prognostic value of circulating tumour cells in small cell lung cancer. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2021 Apr;10(4):1653–65.
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- EPAC-lung: pooled analysis of circulating tumour cells in advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Lindsay CR, Blackhall FH, Carmel A, Fernandez-Gutierrez F, Gazzaniga P, Groen HJM, Hiltermann TJN, Krebs MG, Loges S, López-López R, Muinelo-Romay L, Pantel K, Priest L, Riethdorf S, Rossi E, Terstappen L, Wikman H, Soria JC, Farace F, Renehan A, Dive C, Besse B, Michiels S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Clinical validity of circulating tumour cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a pooled analysis of individual patient data.
- Authors: Bidard FC, Peeters DJ, Fehm T, Nolé F, Gisbert-Criado R, Mavroudis D, Grisanti S, Generali D, Garcia-Saenz JA, Stebbing J, Caldas C, Gazzaniga P, Manso L, Zamarchi R, de Lascoiti AF, De Mattos-Arruda L, Ignatiadis M, Lebofsky R, van Laere SJ, Meier-Stiegen F, Sandri MT, Vidal-Martinez J, Politaki E, Consoli F, Bottini A, Diaz-Rubio E, Krell J, Dawson SJ, Raimondi C, Rutten A, Janni W, Munzone E, Carañana V, Agelaki S, Almici C, Dirix L, Solomayer EF, Zorzino L, Johannes H, Reis-Filho JS, Pantel K, Pierga JY, Michiels S
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Prognostic value of circulating tumour cells in limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: analysis of the concurrent once-daily versus twice-daily radiotherapy (CONVERT) randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Tay RY, Fernández-Gutiérrez F, Foy V, Burns K, Pierce J, Morris K, Priest L, Tugwood J, Ashcroft L, Lindsay CR, Faivre-Finn C, Dive C, Blackhall F
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- Predictive and prognostic value of folate receptor-positive circulating tumor cells in small cell lung cancer patients treated with first-line chemotherapy.
- Authors: Shen J, Zhao J, Jiang T, Li X, Zhao C, Su C, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 25
- Longitudinal enumeration and cluster evaluation of circulating tumor cells improve prognostication for patients with newly diagnosed metastatic breast cancer in a prospective observational trial.
- Authors: Larsson AM, Jansson S, Bendahl PO, Levin Tykjaer Jörgensen C, Loman N, Graffman C, Lundgren L, Aaltonen K, Rydén L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 8