Stereotactic radiation for lung cancer: a practical approach to challenging scenarios
AffiliationWashington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) is an effective and well-tolerated treatment for medically inoperable patients with early-stage non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC). SBRT is a noninvasive treatment involving the delivery of ablative radiation doses with high precision over the course of a few treatments. Relative to conventionally fractionated radiation, SBRT achieves superior local control and survival. SBRT utilization has increased dramatically over the past 15 years and is currently considered the standard-of-care in cases of inoperable early-stage NSCLC. It is being increasingly applied to more complex patient populations at higher risk of treatment-related toxicity. In these more complex patients, there is an increasing need to balance patient and treatment factors in selecting the optimal patients for SBRT. Here we review several challenging clinical scenarios commonly encountered in thoracic multidisciplinary tumor boards.
CitationAndruska N, Stowe HB, Crockett C, Liu W, Palma D, Faivre-Finn C, et al. Stereotactic Radiation for Lung Cancer: A Practical Approach to Challenging Scenarios. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2021 Apr
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Phase 2 Study of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy and Stereotactic Body Proton Therapy for High-Risk, Medically Inoperable, Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Nantavithya C, Gomez DR, Wei X, Komaki R, Liao Z, Lin SH, Jeter M, Nguyen QN, Li H, Zhang X, Poenisch F, Zhu XR, Balter PA, Feng L, Choi NC, Mohan R, Chang JY
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for early-stage lung cancer in the elderly.
- Authors: Shinde A, Li R, Kim J, Salgia R, Hurria A, Amini A
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy as an Alternative to Lobectomy in Patients With Medically Operable Stage I NSCLC: A Retrospective, Multicenter Analysis.
- Authors: Scotti V, Bruni A, Francolini G, Perna M, Vasilyeva P, Loi M, Simontacchi G, Viggiano D, Lanfranchi B, Gonfiotti A, Topulli J, Olmetto E, Maragna V, Ferrari K, Bonti V, Comin C, Balduzzi S, D'Amico R, Lohr F, Voltolini L, Livi L
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy versus conventional radiation therapy in patients with early stage non-small cell lung cancer: an updated retrospective study on local failure and survival rates.
- Authors: Jeppesen SS, Schytte T, Jensen HR, Brink C, Hansen O
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Multi-institutional analysis of stereotactic body radiation therapy for operable early-stage non-small cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Kann BH, Verma V, Stahl JM, Ross R, Dosoretz AP, Shafman TD, Gross CP, Park HS, Yu JB, Decker RH
- Issue date: 2019 May