Retrograde radiological gastrostomy technique and retrograde stent placement in a completely occluded cervical esophagus
AffiliationRadiology, The Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMalignant obstruction of the cervical esophagus presents some anatomical and technical challenges when considering radiologic or endoscopic intervention. This case report describes the failure of antegrade access to place a gastrostomy tube and stent due to complete luminal occlusion from an esophageal tumor. The ultrasound-guided percutaneous gastric puncture was performed to achieve retrograde pneumodistension to allow radiologic gastrostomy insertion. Subsequently, the cervical esophagus was retrogradely cannulated via insertion of a guidewire from the gastrostomy site. A distal release esophageal stent was then inserted over the wire and deployed from the mouth in an antegrade manner. However, due to the unpredictable proximal shortening of distal release stents, this stent was eventually shortened and displaced so that it no longer covered the top of the tumor stricture, and further antegrade access failed. Once more, a retrograde access approach was adopted via the gastrostomy stoma, a guidewire and catheter were passed retrogradely through the original stent and out through the mouth. A distal release stent system was then inserted in a retrograde manner via the gastrostomy stoma, effectively making it a proximal release stent which enabled more precise positioning of the stent above the tumor. Palliation was achieved until death, and beyond expected mean survival.
CitationBi Y, Edwards D, Mullan D, Laasch H-U. Retrograde Radiological Gastrostomy Technique and Retrograde Stent Placement in a Completely Occluded Cervical Esophagus. Cureus. 2021 Mar 26
- Treatment of Malignant Esophageal Fistulas: Fluoroscopic Placement of Esophageal SEMS, Endoscopically-assisted through Surgical Gastrostomy. A Case Report.
- Authors: Constantinescu G, Sandru V, Ilie M, Nedelcu C, Tincu R, Popa B
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Antegrade and retrograde endoscopy for treatment of esophageal stricture.
- Authors: Mukherjee K, Cash MP, Burkey BB, Yarbrough WG, Netterville JL, Melvin WV
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Retrograde submucosal tunneling technique for management of complete esophageal obstruction.
- Authors: Babich JP, Diehl DL, Entrup MH
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Retrograde recanalization technique for use after failed antegrade angioplasty in chronic femoral artery occlusions.
- Authors: Schmidt A, Bausback Y, Piorkowski M, Werner M, Bräunlich S, Ulrich M, Varcoe R, Friedenberger J, Schuster J, Botsios S, Scheinert D
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Cervical oesophageal stent placement via a retrograde transgastric route.
- Authors: Inaba Y, Kamata M, Arai Y, Matsueda K, Aramaki T, Takaki H
- Issue date: 2004 Sep