An international expert survey on the indications and practice of radical thoracic reirradiation for non-small cell lung cancer
Chua, K. L. M.
De Ruysscher, D
Hanna, G. G.
Louie, A. V.
Palma, D. A.
Videtic, G. M. M.
Chalmers, A. J.
AffiliationInstitute of Cancer Sciences, The University of Glasgow, Glasgow
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Thoracic reirradiation for non-small cell lung cancer with curative intent is potentially associated with severe toxicity. There are limited prospective data on the best method to deliver this treatment. We sought to develop expert consensus guidance on the safe practice of treating non-small cell lung cancer with radiation therapy in the setting of prior thoracic irradiation. Methods and materials: Twenty-one thoracic radiation oncologists were invited to participate in an international Delphi consensus process. Guideline statements were developed and refined during 4 rounds on the definition of reirradiation, selection of appropriate patients, pretreatment assessments, planning of radiation therapy, and cumulative dose constraints. Consensus was achieved once ≥75% of respondents agreed with a statement. Statements that did not reach consensus in the initial survey rounds were revised based on respondents' comments and re-presented in subsequent rounds. Results: Fifteen radiation oncologists participated in the 4 surveys between September 2019 and March 2020. The first 3 rounds had a 100% response rate, and the final round was completed by 93% of participants. Thirty-three out of 77 statements across all rounds achieved consensus. Key recommendations are as follows: (1) appropriate patients should have a good performance status and can have locally relapsed disease or second primary cancers, and there are no absolute lung function values that preclude reirradiation; (2) a full diagnostic workup should be performed in patients with suspected local recurrence and; (3) any reirradiation should be delivered using optimal image guidance and highly conformal techniques. In addition, consensus cumulative dose for the organs at risk in the thorax are described. Conclusions: These consensus statements provide practical guidance on appropriate patient selection for reirradiation, appropriate radiation therapy techniques, and cumulative dose constraints.
CitationRulach R, Ball D, Chua KLM, Dahele M, De Ruysscher D, Franks K, et al. An International Expert Survey on the Indications and Practice of Radical Thoracic Reirradiation for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Advances in Radiation Oncology. 2021 Mar;6(2):100653.
JournalAdvances in Radiation Oncology
- An international Delphi consensus for pelvic stereotactic ablative radiotherapy re-irradiation.
- Authors: Slevin F, Aitken K, Alongi F, Arcangeli S, Chadwick E, Chang AR, Cheung P, Crane C, Guckenberger M, Jereczek-Fossa BA, Kamran SC, Kinj R, Loi M, Mahadevan A, Massaccesi M, Mendez LC, Muirhead R, Pasquier D, Pontoriero A, Spratt DE, Tsang YM, Zelefsky MJ, Lilley J, Dickinson P, Hawkins MA, Henry AM, Murray LJ
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Optimal imaging surveillance after stereotactic ablative radiation therapy for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: Findings of an International Delphi Consensus Study.
- Authors: Nguyen TK, Senan S, Bradley JD, Franks K, Giuliani M, Guckenberger M, Landis M, Loo BW Jr, Louie AV, Onishi H, Schmidt H, Timmerman R, Videtic GMM, Palma DA
- Issue date: 2018 Mar - Apr
- Re-Irradiation for Locally Recurrent Lung Cancer: A Single Center Retrospective Analysis.
- Authors: Grambozov B, Nussdorfer E, Kaiser J, Gerum S, Fastner G, Stana M, Gaisberger C, Wass R, Studnicka M, Sedlmayer F, Zehentmayr F
- Issue date: 2021 May 13
- Medication appropriateness tool for co-morbid health conditions in dementia: consensus recommendations from a multidisciplinary expert panel.
- Authors: Page AT, Potter K, Clifford R, McLachlan AJ, Etherton-Beer C
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Dosimetric Factors and Toxicity in Highly Conformal Thoracic Reirradiation.
- Authors: Binkley MS, Hiniker SM, Chaudhuri A, Maxim PG, Diehn M, Loo BW Jr, Shultz DB
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 15