AffiliationCell Plasticity and Epigenetics Lab. Cancer Research UK-Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park, SK10 4TG, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCancer development can be defined as a process of cellular and tissular microevolution ultimately leading to malignancy. Strikingly, though this concept has prevailed in the field for more than a century, the precise mechanisms underlying evolutionary processes occurring within tumours remain largely uncharacterized and rather cryptic. Nevertheless, although our current knowledge is fragmentary, data collected to date suggest that most tumours display features compatible with a diverse array of evolutionary paths, suggesting that most of the existing macro-evolutionary models find their avatar in cancer biology. Herein, we discuss an up-to-date view of the fundamental genetic and non-genetic mechanisms underlying tumour evolution with the aim of concurring into an integrated view of the evolutionary forces at play throughout the emergence and progression of the disease and into the acquisition of resistance to diverse therapeutic paradigms. Our ultimate goal is to delve into the intricacies of genetic and non-genetic networks underlying tumour evolution to build a framework where both core concepts are considered non-negligible and equally fundamental.
CitationShlyakhtina Y, Moran KL, Portal MM. Genetic and Non-Genetic Mechanisms Underlying Cancer Evolution. Cancers (Basel). 2021;13(6).
- The role of non-genetic information in evolutionary frameworks.
- Authors: Moran KL, Shlyakhtina Y, Portal MM
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Intra-tumour heterogeneity - going beyond genetics.
- Authors: Caiado F, Silva-Santos B, Norell H
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- [Foundations of the new phylogenetics].
- Authors: Pavlinov IIa
- Issue date: 2004 Jul-Aug
- Genetic and epigenetic determinants of B-cell lymphoma evolution.
- Authors: Izzo F, Landau DA
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Deep evolutionary analysis reveals the design principles of fold A glycosyltransferases.
- Authors: Taujale R, Venkat A, Huang LC, Zhou Z, Yeung W, Rasheed KM, Li S, Edison AS, Moremen KW, Kannan N
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1