A KRAS-responsive long non-coding RNA controls microRNA processing
Leong, Hui Sun
Smith, Duncan D
Di Leva, G.
Paliouras, Athanasios R
AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Mancheste
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWild-type KRAS (KRASWT) amplification has been shown to be a secondary means of KRAS activation in cancer and associated with poor survival. Nevertheless, the precise role of KRASWT overexpression in lung cancer progression is largely unexplored. Here, we identify and characterize a KRAS-responsive lncRNA, KIMAT1 (ENSG00000228709) and show that it correlates with KRAS levels both in cell lines and in lung cancer specimens. Mechanistically, KIMAT1 is a MYC target and drives lung tumorigenesis by promoting the processing of oncogenic microRNAs (miRNAs) through DHX9 and NPM1 stabilization while halting the biogenesis of miRNAs with tumor suppressor function via MYC-dependent silencing of p21, a component of the Microprocessor Complex. KIMAT1 knockdown suppresses not only KRAS expression but also KRAS downstream signaling, thereby arresting lung cancer growth in vitro and in vivo. Taken together, this study uncovers a role for KIMAT1 in maintaining a positive feedback loop that sustains KRAS signaling during lung cancer progression and provides a proof of principle that interfering with KIMAT1 could be a strategy to hamper KRAS-induced tumorigenesis.
CitationShi L, Magee P, Fassan M, Sahoo S, Leong HS, Lee D, et al. A KRAS-responsive long non-coding RNA controls microRNA processing. Nat Commun. 2021;12(1):2038.
- HCP5 is a SMAD3-responsive long non-coding RNA that promotes lung adenocarcinoma metastasis via miR-203/SNAI axis.
- Authors: Jiang L, Wang R, Fang L, Ge X, Chen L, Zhou M, Zhou Y, Xiong W, Hu Y, Tang X, Li G, Li Z
- Issue date: 2019
- miR-202 Enhances the Anti-Tumor Effect of Cisplatin on Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer by Targeting the Ras/MAPK Pathway.
- Authors: Sun W, Ping W, Tian Y, Zou W, Liu J, Zu Y
- Issue date: 2018
- Inhibition of BET bromodomain-dependent XIAP and FLIP expression sensitizes KRAS-mutated NSCLC to pro-apoptotic agents.
- Authors: Klingbeil O, Lesche R, Gelato KA, Haendler B, Lejeune P
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 8
- Mutant LKB1 Confers Enhanced Radiosensitization in Combination with Trametinib in KRAS-Mutant Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Wang Y, Li N, Jiang W, Deng W, Ye R, Xu C, Qiao Y, Sharma A, Zhang M, Hung MC, Lin SH
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 15
- KRAS-mutation status dependent effect of zoledronic acid in human non-small cell cancer preclinical models.
- Authors: Kenessey I, Kói K, Horváth O, Cserepes M, Molnár D, Izsák V, Dobos J, Hegedűs B, Tóvári J, Tímár J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 29