Biological factors of the tumour response to electrochemotherapy: Review of the evidence and a research roadmap
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Oncology, Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, Zaloska cesta 2, SI-1000, Ljubljana, Slovenia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe beneficial effects of electrochemotherapy (ECT) for superficial tumours and, more recently, deep-seated malignancies in terms of local control and quality of life are widely accepted. However, the variability in responses across histotypes needs to be explored. Currently, patient selection for ECT is based on clinical factors (tumour size, histotype, and exposure to previous oncological treatments), whereas there are no biomarkers to predict the response to treatment. In this field, two major areas of investigation can be identified, i.e., tumour cell characteristics and the tumour microenvironment (vasculature, extracellular matrix, and immune infiltrate). For each of these areas, we describe the current knowledge and discuss how to foster further investigation. This review aims to provide a summary of the currently used guiding clinical factors and delineates a research roadmap for future studies to identify putative biomarkers of response to ECT. These biomarkers may allow researchers to improve ECT practice by customising treatment parameters, manipulating the tumour and its microenvironment, and exploring novel therapeutic combinations.
CitationSersa G, Ursic K, Cemazar M, Heller R, Bosnjak M, Campana LG. Biological factors of the tumour response to electrochemotherapy: Review of the evidence and a research roadmap. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2021.
JournalEuropean Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Electrochemotherapy of unresectable cutaneous tumours with reduced dosages of intravenous bleomycin: analysis of 57 patients from the International Network for Sharing Practices of Electrochemotherapy registry.
- Authors: Rotunno R, Campana LG, Quaglino P, de Terlizzi F, Kunte C, Odili J, Gehl J, Ribero S, Liew SH, Marconato R, Brizio M, Curatolo P
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Electrochemotherapy in the treatment of cutaneous malignancy: Outcomes and subgroup analysis from the cumulative results from the pan-European International Network for Sharing Practice in Electrochemotherapy database for 2482 lesions in 987 patients (2008-2019).
- Authors: Clover AJP, de Terlizzi F, Bertino G, Curatolo P, Odili J, Campana LG, Kunte C, Muir T, Brizio M, Sersa G, Pritchard Jones R, Moir G, Orlando A, Banerjee SM, Kis E, McCaul JA, Grischke EM, Matteucci P, Mowatt D, Bechara FG, Mascherini M, Lico V, Giorgione R, Seccia V, Schepler H, Pecorari G, MacKenzie Ross AD, Bisase B, Gehl J
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Local treatment with deep percutaneous electrochemotherapy of different tumor lesions: pain relief and objective response results from an observational study.
- Authors: Ranieri G, Laface C, Fazio V, De Ceglia D, Macina F, Gisone V, Porcelli M, Vinciarelli G, Carella C, Molinari P, Laricchia G, Laforgia M, Gadaleta Cosmo D
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- [Electrochemotherapy: mechanism of action and clinical results in the locoregional treatment of patients with skin cancers and superficial metastases].
- Authors: Campana LG, Marconato R, Sieni E, Valpione S, Corti L, Mocellin S, Rossi CR
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Electrochemotherapy of superficial tumors - Current status:: Basic principles, operating procedures, shared indications, and emerging applications.
- Authors: Campana LG, Miklavčič D, Bertino G, Marconato R, Valpione S, Imarisio I, Dieci MV, Granziera E, Cemazar M, Alaibac M, Sersa G
- Issue date: 2019 Apr