The dynamic interface between the bone marrow vascular niche and hematopoietic stem cells in myeloid malignancy
AffiliationInstituto de Investigação e Inovação em Saúde (i3S), University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHematopoietic stem cells interact with bone marrow niches, including highly specialized blood vessels. Recent studies have revealed the phenotypic and functional heterogeneity of bone marrow endothelial cells. This has facilitated the analysis of the vascular microenvironment in steady state and malignant hematopoiesis. In this review, we provide an overview of the bone marrow microenvironment, focusing on refined analyses of the marrow vascular compartment performed in mouse studies. We also discuss the emerging role of the vascular niche in "inflamm-aging" and clonal hematopoiesis, and how the endothelial microenvironment influences, supports and interacts with hematopoietic cells in acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes, as exemplar states of malignant myelopoiesis. Finally, we provide an overview of strategies for modulating these bidirectional interactions to therapeutic effect in myeloid malignancies.
CitationMosteo L, Storer J, Batta K, Searle EJ, Duarte D, Wiseman DH. The Dynamic Interface Between the Bone Marrow Vascular Niche and Hematopoietic Stem Cells in Myeloid Malignancy. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2021;9:635189.
JournalFrontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology
- Roles of the bone marrow niche in hematopoiesis, leukemogenesis, and chemotherapy resistance in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Wang A, Zhong H
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- The Bone Marrow Microenvironment in Health and Myeloid Malignancy.
- Authors: Galán-Díez M, Cuesta-Domínguez Á, Kousteni S
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 2
- Bone marrow niche in the myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Authors: Cogle CR, Saki N, Khodadi E, Li J, Shahjahani M, Azizidoost S
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Mesenchymal Stem and Progenitor Cells in Normal and Dysplastic Hematopoiesis-Masters of Survival and Clonality?
- Authors: Pleyer L, Valent P, Greil R
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 27
- The microenvironment in human myeloid malignancies: emerging concepts and therapeutic implications.
- Authors: Medyouf H
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 23