The patient-reported outcome measures in oropharyngeal, laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer patients treated with Volumetric Modulated Arc based simultaneous integrated boost radiotherapy
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, India
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To assess the change in the quality of life (QOL) in head and neck cancer patients treated with Simultaneous Integrated Boost (SIB) by Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) technique. Methods: Thirty patients with localised head and neck cancers (Stage II- IVa) were treated with VMAT and SIB technique. The three-dose levels prescribed were 68.2 Gy at 2.2 Gy/fraction, 62 Gy at 2 Gy/fraction and 55.8 Gy at 1.8 Gy/fraction to the high, intermediate and low-risk volumes respectively. Concurrent chemotherapy with cisplatin 100 mg/m2 was administered once in three weeks. Acute toxicities were evaluated and scored according to the RTOG grading system. Quality of life (QOL) was assessed using European Organization of Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) QLQC30 and HN35 questionnaires at baseline and in three instances (immediately, one month and three months after the radiotherapy). Results: Out of the total 30, 80% patients had a complete response (CR) at the median follow up of 12 months, while three patients died because of progression, and the remaining 3 had stable disease. All planning objectives were achieved for organs at risk and planning target volume(PTV). There was a statiscally significant(p value < 0.001) reduction in global quality of life scores at the end of treatment when compared to baseline scores, but by three months, there was the return in the QOL scores in most scales similar to the baseline value. Conclusion: VMAT based Simultaneous boost radiotherapy is a feasible and safe strategy in terms of toxicity profile with an acceptable transient change in the quality of life and allows a faster return to baseline quality of life.
CitationElumalai T, Mukherji A, Vijayaprabhu N, Periasamy K, Yadala A. The patient-reported outcome measures in oropharyngeal, laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer patients treated with Volumetric Modulated Arc based simultaneous integrated boost radiotherapy. Tech Innov Patient Support Radiat Oncol. 2021;18:1-7.
JournalTechnical Innovations and Patient Support in Radiation Oncology
- Change in the Quality of Life in Oropharyngeal, Laryngeal and Hypopharyngeal Cancer Patients treated with Volumetric Modulated Arc-Based Concomitant Boost Radiotherapy.
- Authors: Kannan P, Mukherji A, Saravanan K, Reddy KS, Vivekanandam S, Shamsudheen C, Santhosh V
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Assessing the feasibility of volumetric-modulated arc therapy using simultaneous integrated boost (SIB-VMAT): An analysis for complex head-neck, high-risk prostate and rectal cancer cases.
- Authors: Cilla S, Deodato F, Digesù C, Macchia G, Picardi V, Ferro M, Sallustio G, De Spirito M, Piermattei A, Morganti AG
- Issue date: 2014 Spring
- Smart (simultaneous modulated accelerated radiation therapy) boost: a new accelerated fractionation schedule for the treatment of head and neck cancer with intensity modulated radiotherapy.
- Authors: Butler EB, Teh BS, Grant WH 3rd, Uhl BM, Kuppersmith RB, Chiu JK, Donovan DT, Woo SY
- Issue date: 1999 Aug 1
- Accelerated hypofractionated adjuvant whole breast radiation with simultaneous integrated boost using volumetric modulated arc therapy for early breast cancer: A phase I/II dosimetric and clinical feasibility study from a tertiary cancer care centre of India.
- Authors: Mondal D, Julka PK, Sharma DN, Jana M, Laviraj MA, Deo SV, Roy S, Guleria R, Rath GK
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Phase I-II study of hypofractionated simultaneous integrated boost using volumetric modulated arc therapy for adjuvant radiation therapy in breast cancer patients: a report of feasibility and early toxicity results in the first 50 treatments.
- Authors: Scorsetti M, Alongi F, Fogliata A, Pentimalli S, Navarria P, Lobefalo F, Garcia-Etienne C, Clivio A, Cozzi L, Mancosu P, Nicolini G, Vanetti E, Eboli M, Rossetti C, Rubino A, Sagona A, Arcangeli S, Gatzemeier W, Masci G, Torrisi R, Testori A, Alloisio M, Santoro A, Tinterri C
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 28