MRI and CBCT for lymph node identification and registration in patients with NSCLC undergoing radical radiotherapy
Eccles, Cynthia L
van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: This study compared MRI to CBCT for the identification and registration of lymph nodes (LN) in patients with locally advanced (LA)-NSCLC, to assess the suitability of targeting LNs in future MR-image guided radiotherapy (MRgRT) workflows. Method: Radiotherapy radiographers carried out Visual Grading Analysis (VGA) assessment of image quality, LN registration and graded their confidence in registration for each of the 24 LNs on CBCT and two MR sequences, MR1 (T2w Turbo Spin Echo) and MR2 (T1w DIXON water only image). Results: Pre-registration image quality assessment revealed MR1 and MR2 as significantly superior to CBCT in terms of image quality (p ≤ 0.01). No significant differences were noted in interobserver variability for LN registration between CBCT, MR1 and MR2. Observers were more confident in their MR registrations compared to their CBCT based LN registrations (p ≤ 0.02). Summary: Interobserver setup correction variability was not found to be significantly different between CBCT and MR. Image quality and registration confidence were found to be superior for MRI sequences. This is a promising step towards MR-guided radiotherapy for the treatment of LA-NSCLC
CitationDubec M, Brown S, Chuter R, Hales R, Whiteside L, Rodgers J, et al. MRI and CBCT for lymph node identification and registration in patients with NSCLC undergoing radical radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2021;159:112-8.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Comparison of radiographer interobserver image registration variability using cone beam CT and MR for cervix radiotherapy.
- Authors: Rodgers J, Hales R, Whiteside L, Parker J, McHugh L, Cree A, van Herk M, Choudhury A, Hoskin P, McWilliam A, Eccles CL
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Are cone beam CT image matching skills transferrable from planning CT to planning MRI for MR-only prostate radiotherapy?
- Authors: Brooks RL, McCallum HM, Pearson RA, Pilling K, Wyatt J
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 1
- Deep inspiration breath-hold radiotherapy for lung cancer: impact on image quality and registration uncertainty in cone beam CT image guidance.
- Authors: Josipovic M, Persson GF, Bangsgaard JP, Specht L, Aznar MC
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Analyses of the factors influencing the accuracy of three-dimensional ultrasound in comparison with cone-beam CT in image-guided radiotherapy for prostate cancer with or without pelvic lymph node irradiation.
- Authors: Zhou S, Luo L, Li J, Lin M, Chen L, Shao J, Lu S, Ma Y, Zhang Y, Chen W, Liu M, Liu S, He L
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 29
- Target coverage and dose criteria based evaluation of the first clinical 1.5T MR-linac SBRT treatments of lymph node oligometastases compared with conventional CBCT-linac treatment.
- Authors: Winkel D, Bol GH, Werensteijn-Honingh AM, Intven MPW, Eppinga WSC, Hes J, Snoeren LMW, Sikkes GG, Gadellaa-van Hooijdonk CGM, Raaymakers BW, Jürgenliemk-Schulz IM, Kroon PS
- Issue date: 2020 May