MRI and CBCT for lymph node identification and registration in patients with NSCLC undergoing radical radiotherapy
Eccles, Cynthia L
van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: This study compared MRI to CBCT for the identification and registration of lymph nodes (LN) in patients with locally advanced (LA)-NSCLC, to assess the suitability of targeting LNs in future MR-image guided radiotherapy (MRgRT) workflows. Method: Radiotherapy radiographers carried out Visual Grading Analysis (VGA) assessment of image quality, LN registration and graded their confidence in registration for each of the 24 LNs on CBCT and two MR sequences, MR1 (T2w Turbo Spin Echo) and MR2 (T1w DIXON water only image). Results: Pre-registration image quality assessment revealed MR1 and MR2 as significantly superior to CBCT in terms of image quality (p ≤ 0.01). No significant differences were noted in interobserver variability for LN registration between CBCT, MR1 and MR2. Observers were more confident in their MR registrations compared to their CBCT based LN registrations (p ≤ 0.02). Summary: Interobserver setup correction variability was not found to be significantly different between CBCT and MR. Image quality and registration confidence were found to be superior for MRI sequences. This is a promising step towards MR-guided radiotherapy for the treatment of LA-NSCLC
CitationDubec M, Brown S, Chuter R, Hales R, Whiteside L, Rodgers J, et al. MRI and CBCT for lymph node identification and registration in patients with NSCLC undergoing radical radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2021;159:112-8.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Comparison of radiographer interobserver image registration variability using cone beam CT and MR for cervix radiotherapy.
- Authors: Rodgers J, Hales R, Whiteside L, Parker J, McHugh L, Cree A, van Herk M, Choudhury A, Hoskin P, McWilliam A, Eccles CL
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- The accuracy of Magnetic Resonance - Cone Beam Computed Tomography soft-tissue matching for prostate radiotherapy.
- Authors: Wyatt JJ, Brooks RL, Ainslie D, Wilkins E, Raven E, Pilling K, Pearson RA, McCallum HM
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Deep inspiration breath-hold radiotherapy for lung cancer: impact on image quality and registration uncertainty in cone beam CT image guidance.
- Authors: Josipovic M, Persson GF, Bangsgaard JP, Specht L, Aznar MC
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Automated replication of cone beam CT-guided treatments in the Pinnacle(3) treatment planning system for adaptive radiotherapy.
- Authors: Hargrave C, Mason N, Guidi R, Miller JA, Becker J, Moores M, Mengersen K, Poulsen M, Harden F
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Are cone beam CT image matching skills transferrable from planning CT to planning MRI for MR-only prostate radiotherapy?
- Authors: Brooks RL, McCallum HM, Pearson RA, Pilling K, Wyatt J
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 29