A unified haplotype-based method for accurate and comprehensive variant calling
AffiliationMRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlmost all haplotype-based variant callers were designed specifically for detecting common germline variation in diploid populations, and give suboptimal results in other scenarios. Here we present Octopus, a variant caller that uses a polymorphic Bayesian genotyping model capable of modeling sequencing data from a range of experimental designs within a unified haplotype-aware framework. Octopus combines sequencing reads and prior information to phase-called genotypes of arbitrary ploidy, including those with somatic mutations. We show that Octopus accurately calls germline variants in individuals, including single nucleotide variants, indels and small complex replacements such as microinversions. Using a synthetic tumor data set derived from clean sequencing data from a sample with known germline haplotypes and observed mutations in a large cohort of tumor samples, we show that Octopus is more sensitive to low-frequency somatic variation, yet calls considerably fewer false positives than other methods. Octopus also outputs realigned evidence BAM files to aid validation and interpretation.
CitationCooke DP, Wedge DC, Lunter G. A unified haplotype-based method for accurate and comprehensive variant calling. Nat Biotechnol. 2021.
- SNVSniffer: an integrated caller for germline and somatic single-nucleotide and indel mutations.
- Authors: Liu Y, Loewer M, Aluru S, Schmidt B
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1
- A method to reduce ancestry related germline false positives in tumor only somatic variant calling.
- Authors: Halperin RF, Carpten JD, Manojlovic Z, Aldrich J, Keats J, Byron S, Liang WS, Russell M, Enriquez D, Claasen A, Cherni I, Awuah B, Oppong J, Wicha MS, Newman LA, Jaigge E, Kim S, Craig DW
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 19
- Leveraging Spatial Variation in Tumor Purity for Improved Somatic Variant Calling of Archival Tumor Only Samples.
- Authors: Halperin RF, Liang WS, Kulkarni S, Tassone EE, Adkins J, Enriquez D, Tran NL, Hank NC, Newell J, Kodira C, Korn R, Berens ME, Kim S, Byron SA
- Issue date: 2019
- Using genotype array data to compare multi- and single-sample variant calls and improve variant call sets from deep coverage whole-genome sequencing data.
- Authors: Shringarpure SS, Mathias RA, Hernandez RD, O'Connor TD, Szpiech ZA, Torres R, De La Vega FM, Bustamante CD, Barnes KC, Taub MA, CAAPA Consortium.
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 15
- BAYSIC: a Bayesian method for combining sets of genome variants with improved specificity and sensitivity.
- Authors: Cantarel BL, Weaver D, McNeill N, Zhang J, Mackey AJ, Reese J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 12