Research evaluation alongside clinical treatment in COVID-19 (REACT COVID-19): an observational and biobanking study
Thomas, G. J.
Faust, S. N.
AffiliationFaculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: The COVID-19 pandemic caused by SARS-CoV-2 places immense worldwide demand on healthcare services. Earlier identification of patients at risk of severe disease may allow intervention with experimental targeted treatments, mitigating the course of their disease and reducing critical care service demand. Methods and analysis: This prospective observational study of patients tested or treated for SARS-CoV-2, who are under the care of the tertiary University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHSFT), captured data from admission to discharge; data collection commenced on 7 March 2020. Core demographic and clinical information, as well as results of disease-defining characteristics, was captured and recorded electronically from hospital clinical record systems at the point of testing. Manual data were collected and recorded by the clinical research team for assessments which are not part of the structured electronic healthcare record, for example, symptom onset date. Thereafter, participant records were continuously updated during hospital stay and their follow-up period. Participants aged >16 years were given the opportunity to provide consent for excess clinical sample storage with optional further biological sampling. These anonymised samples were linked to the clinical data in the Real-time Analytics for Clinical Trials platform and were stored within a biorepository at UHSFT. Ethics and dissemination: Ethical approval was obtained from the HRA Specific Review Board (REC 20/HRA/2986) for waiver of informed consent for the database-only cohort; the procedures conform with the Declaration of Helsinki. The study design, protocol and patient-facing documentation for the biobanking arm of the study have been approved by North West Research Ethics Committee (REC 17/NW/0632) as an amendment to the National Institute for Health Research Southampton Clinical Research Facility-managed Southampton Research Biorepository. This study will be published as peer-reviewed articles and presented at conferences, presentations and workshops.
CitationBurke H, Freeman A, Dushianthan A, Celinski M, Batchelor J, Phan H, et al. Research Evaluation Alongside Clinical Treatment in COVID-19 (REACT COVID-19): an observational and biobanking study. BMJ Open. 2021;11(1):e043012.
- Safety and Efficacy of Imatinib for Hospitalized Adults with COVID-19: A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Emadi A, Chua JV, Talwani R, Bentzen SM, Baddley J
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 28
- PROTECT Trial: A cluster-randomized study with hydroxychloroquine versus observational support for prevention or early-phase treatment of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Nanni O, Viale P, Vertogen B, Lilli C, Zingaretti C, Donati C, Masini C, Monti M, Serra P, Vespignani R, Grossi V, Biggeri A, Scarpi E, Galardi F, Bertoni L, Colamartini A, Falcini F, Altini M, Massa I, Gaggeri R, Martinelli G
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 31
- Serial measurements in COVID-19-induced acute respiratory disease to unravel heterogeneity of the disease course: design of the Maastricht Intensive Care COVID cohort (MaastrICCht).
- Authors: Tas J, van Gassel RJJ, Heines SJH, Mulder MMG, Heijnen NFL, Acampo-de Jong MJ, Bels JLM, Bennis FC, Koelmann M, Groven RVM, Donkers MA, van Rosmalen F, Hermans BJM, Meex SJ, Mingels A, Bekers O, Savelkoul P, Oude Lashof AML, Wildberger J, Tijssen FH, Buhre W, Sels JEM, Ghossein-Doha C, Driessen RGH, Kubben PL, Janssen MLF, Nicolaes GAF, Strauch U, Geyik Z, Delnoij TSR, Walraven KHM, Stehouwer CD, Verbunt JAMCF, Van Mook WNKA, van Santen S, Schnabel RM, Aries MJH, van de Poll MCG, Bergmans D, van der Horst ICC, van Kuijk S, van Bussel BCT
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 29
- Repair of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome by Stromal Cell Administration in COVID-19 (REALIST-COVID-19): A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised, controlled trial.
- Authors: Gorman E, Shankar-Hari M, Hopkins P, Tunnicliffe WS, Perkins GD, Silversides J, McGuigan P, Jackson C, Boyle R, McFerran J, McDowell C, Campbell C, McFarland M, Smythe J, Thompson J, Williams B, Curley G, Laffey JG, Clarke M, O'Kane C, McAuley DF
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 3
- Testing the efficacy and safety of BIO101, for the prevention of respiratory deterioration, in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia (COVA study): a structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Dioh W, Chabane M, Tourette C, Azbekyan A, Morelot-Panzini C, Hajjar LA, Lins M, Nair GB, Whitehouse T, Mariani J, Latil M, Camelo S, Lafont R, Dilda PJ, Veillet S, Agus S
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 11