Survival and new prognosticators in metastatic seminoma: results from the IGCCCG-update consortium
Feldman, D. R.
De Giorgi, U.
de Wit, R.
Hansen, A. R.
Gietema, J. A.
Huddart, R. A.
Cafferty, F. H.
Heng, D. Y. C.
Sweeney, C. J.
Sternberg, C. N.
Vaughn, D. J.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Inselspital, University Hospital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: The classification of the International Germ-Cell Cancer Collaborative Group (IGCCCG) has been a major advance in the management of germ-cell tumors, but relies on data of only 660 patients with seminoma treated between 1975 and 1990. We re-evaluated this classification in a database from a large international consortium. Materials and methods: Data on 2,451 men with metastatic seminoma treated with cisplatin- and etoposide-based first-line chemotherapy between 1990 and 2013 were collected from 30 institutions or collaborative groups in Australia, Europe, and North America. Clinical trial and registry data were included. Primary end points were progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) calculated from day 1 of treatment. Variables at initial presentation were evaluated for their prognostic impact. Results were validated in an independent validation set of 764 additional patients. Results: Compared with the initial IGCCCG classification, in our modern series, 5-year PFS improved from 82% to 89% (95% CI, 87 to 90) and 5-year OS from 86% to 95% (95% CI, 94 to 96) in good prognosis, and from 67% to 79% (95% CI, 70 to 85) and 72% to 88% (95% CI, 80 to 93) in intermediate prognosis patients. Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) proved to be an additional adverse prognostic factor. Good prognosis patients with LDH above 2.5× upper limit of normal had a 3-year PFS of 80% (95% CI, 75 to 84) and a 3-year OS of 92% (95% CI, 88 to 95) versus 92% (95% CI, 90 to 94) and 97% (95% CI, 96 to 98) in the group with lower LDH. Conclusion: PFS and OS in metastatic seminoma significantly improved in our modern series compared with the original data. The original IGCCCG classification retains its relevance, but can be further refined by adding LDH at a cutoff of 2.5× upper limit of normal as an additional adverse prognostic factor.
CitationBeyer J, Collette L, Sauve N, Daugaard G, Feldman DR, Tandstad T, et al. Survival and New Prognosticators in Metastatic Seminoma: Results From the IGCCCG-Update Consortium. J Clin Oncol. 2021:JCO2003292.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Predicting Outcomes in Men With Metastatic Nonseminomatous Germ Cell Tumors (NSGCT): Results From the IGCCCG Update Consortium.
- Authors: Gillessen S, Sauvé N, Collette L, Daugaard G, de Wit R, Albany C, Tryakin A, Fizazi K, Stahl O, Gietema JA, De Giorgi U, Cafferty FH, Hansen AR, Tandstad T, Huddart RA, Necchi A, Sweeney CJ, Garcia-Del-Muro X, Heng DYC, Lorch A, Chovanec M, Winquist E, Grimison P, Feldman DR, Terbuch A, Hentrich M, Bokemeyer C, Negaard H, Fankhauser C, Shamash J, Vaughn DJ, Sternberg CN, Heidenreich A, Beyer J, International Germ Cell Cancer Classification Update Consortium.
- Issue date: 2021 May 10
- Impact of primary metastatic bone disease in germ cell tumors: results of an International Global Germ Cell Tumor Collaborative Group G3 Registry Study.
- Authors: Oing C, Oechsle K, Necchi A, Loriot Y, De Giorgi U, Fléchon A, Daugaard G, Fedyanin M, Faré E, Bokemeyer C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- Prognostic Factors and Treatment Results After Bleomycin, Etoposide, and Cisplatin in Germ Cell Cancer: A Population-based Study.
- Authors: Kier MG, Lauritsen J, Mortensen MS, Bandak M, Andersen KK, Hansen MK, Agerbaek M, Holm NV, Dalton SO, Johansen C, Daugaard G
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- The prognostic impact of different tumor marker levels in nonseminomatous germ cell tumor patients with intermediate prognosis: A registry of the International Global Germ Cell Tumor Collaborative Group (G3).
- Authors: Seidel C, Daugaard G, Tryakin A, Necchi A, Cohn-Cedermark G, Ståhl O, Hentrich M, Brito M, Albany C, Taza F, Gerl A, Oechsle K, Oing C, Bokemeyer C
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Low Survival in Poor Prognosis Metastatic Germ Cell Cancer in Belarus.
- Authors: Rolevich AI, Borodin DM, Rabcheuski AN, Ivanitskaya TA, Semenov SA, Artsiushkevich LV, Sukalinskaya AV, Zhavrid EA, Krasny SA, Konoplya NE, Polyakov SL
- Issue date: 2021 Jan