Rare case of multiple intradural extramedullary spinal schwannomas with intramedullary extension
AffiliationRadiology, The Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Mancheste
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpinal schwannomas are benign WHO grade I nerve sheath tumors that account for nearly 30% of all spinal neoplasm. Typically, these lesions are intradural extramedullary in location and are composed entirely of well-differentiated eosinophilic Schwann cells. Intramedullary schwannomas, however, are extremely rare due to the lack of Schwan cells in the normal spinal cord and represent 1% of all the spinal schwannoma population. The presence of such an intramedullary component makes diagnosis challenging as imaging features may resemble other intramedullary neoplastic entities. Here, we describe a case of a 56-year-old male patient who presented with an 18-month history of intermittent right-sided mid-thoracic pain secondary to multiple intradural extramedullary spinal schwannoma with intramedullary extensions. We also review the literature pertaining to the condition.
CitationAhmed G, Sheikh U, Dawson T, Sonwalker H. Rare Case of Multiple Intradural Extramedullary Spinal Schwannomas With Intramedullary Extension. Cureus. 2021;13(2):e13228.
- Thoracic intramedullary schwannoma accompanying by extramedullary beads-like daughter schwanommas.
- Authors: Ryu KS, Lee KY, Lee HJ, Park CK
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Intradural, extramedullary spinal sarcoidosis: report of a rare case and review of the literature.
- Authors: Schaller B, Kruschat T, Schmidt H, Brück W, Buchfelder M, Ludwig HC
- Issue date: 2006 Mar-Apr
- Totally cystic intradural extramedullary schwannoma.
- Authors: Kasliwal MK, Kale SS, Sharma BS, Suri V
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Paediatric calcified intramedullary schwannoma at conus: A common tumor in a vicarious location.
- Authors: Jagannatha AT, Joshi KC, Rao S, Srikantha U, Varma RG, Mahadevan A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct-Dec
- Intramedullary melanotic schwannoma.
- Authors: Hoover JM, Bledsoe JM, Giannini C, Krauss WE
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 2