Time-resolved single-cell analysis of Brca1 associated mammary tumourigenesis reveals aberrant differentiation of luminal progenitors
Lazarus, K. A.
Simões, Bruno M
Greenhalgh, Alice R
Howell, Sacha J
Clarke, Robert B
Halim, T. Y. F.
Marioni, J. C.
Khaled, W. T.
AffiliationUniversity of Cambridge, Department of Pharmacology, Cambridge, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is unclear how genetic aberrations impact the state of nascent tumour cells and their microenvironment. BRCA1 driven triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) has been shown to arise from luminal progenitors yet little is known about how BRCA1 loss-of-function (LOF) and concomitant mutations affect the luminal progenitor cell state. Here we demonstrate how time-resolved single-cell profiling of genetically engineered mouse models before tumour formation can address this challenge. We found that perturbing Brca1/p53 in luminal progenitors induces aberrant alveolar differentiation pre-malignancy accompanied by pro-tumourigenic changes in the immune compartment. Unlike alveolar differentiation during gestation, this process is cell autonomous and characterised by the dysregulation of transcription factors driving alveologenesis. Based on our data we propose a model where Brca1/p53 LOF inadvertently promotes a differentiation program hardwired in luminal progenitors, highlighting the deterministic role of the cell-of-origin and offering a potential explanation for the tissue specificity of BRCA1 tumours.
CitationBach K, Pensa S, Zarocsinceva M, Kania K, Stockis J, Pinaud S, et al. Time-resolved single-cell analysis of Brca1 associated mammary tumourigenesis reveals aberrant differentiation of luminal progenitors. Nat Commun. 2021;12(1):1502.
- c-Kit is required for growth and survival of the cells of origin of Brca1-mutation-associated breast cancer.
- Authors: Regan JL, Kendrick H, Magnay FA, Vafaizadeh V, Groner B, Smalley MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 16
- Aberrant luminal progenitors as the candidate target population for basal tumor development in BRCA1 mutation carriers.
- Authors: Lim E, Vaillant F, Wu D, Forrest NC, Pal B, Hart AH, Asselin-Labat ML, Gyorki DE, Ward T, Partanen A, Feleppa F, Huschtscha LI, Thorne HJ, kConFab., Fox SB, Yan M, French JD, Brown MA, Smyth GK, Visvader JE, Lindeman GJ
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Palb2 synergizes with Trp53 to suppress mammary tumor formation in a model of inherited breast cancer.
- Authors: Bowman-Colin C, Xia B, Bunting S, Klijn C, Drost R, Bouwman P, Fineman L, Chen X, Culhane AC, Cai H, Rodig SJ, Bronson RT, Jonkers J, Nussenzweig A, Kanellopoulou C, Livingston DM
- Issue date: 2013 May 21
- Genetic polymorphisms and protein expression of P53 and BRCA1 in preneoplastic and neoplastic rat mammary glands.
- Authors: Al-Dhaheri W, Hassouna I, Karam SM
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Gata-3 negatively regulates the tumor-initiating capacity of mammary luminal progenitor cells and targets the putative tumor suppressor caspase-14.
- Authors: Asselin-Labat ML, Sutherland KD, Vaillant F, Gyorki DE, Wu D, Holroyd S, Breslin K, Ward T, Shi W, Bath ML, Deb S, Fox SB, Smyth GK, Lindeman GJ, Visvader JE
- Issue date: 2011 Nov