Terahertz reading of ferroelectric domain wall dielectric switching
AffiliationSchool of Engineering and Materials Science, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFerroelectric domain walls (DWs) are important nanoscale interfaces between two domains. It is widely accepted that ferroelectric domain walls work idly at terahertz (THz) frequencies, consequently discouraging efforts to engineer the domain walls to create new applications that utilize THz radiation. However, the present work clearly demonstrates the activity of domain walls at THz frequencies in a lead-free Aurivillius phase ferroelectric ceramic, Ca0.99Rb0.005Ce0.005Bi2Nb2O9, examined using THz-time-domain spectroscopy (THz-TDS). The dynamics of domain walls are different at kHz and THz frequencies. At low frequencies, domain walls work as a group to increase dielectric permittivity. At THz frequencies, the defective nature of domain walls serves to lower the overall dielectric permittivity. This is evidenced by higher dielectric permittivity in the THz band after poling, reflecting decreased domain wall density. An elastic vibrational model has also been used to verify that a single frustrated dipole in a domain wall represents a weaker contribution to the permittivity than its counterpart within a domain. The work represents a fundamental breakthrough in understanding the dielectric contributions of domain walls at THz frequencies. It also demonstrates that THz probing can be used to read domain wall dielectric switching.
CitationZhang M, Chen Z, Yue Y, Chen T, Yan Z, Jiang Q, et al. Terahertz Reading of Ferroelectric Domain Wall Dielectric Switching. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2021;13(10):12622-8.
JournalACS Applied Materials and Interfaces
- Polarizability of Aspirin at Terahertz Frequencies Using Terahertz Time Domain Spectroscopy (THz-TDS).
- Authors: Zhang T, Zhang Z, Arnold MA
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Kinetics of 90° domain wall motions and high frequency mesoscopic dielectric response in strained ferroelectrics: a phase-field simulation.
- Authors: Chu P, Chen DP, Wang YL, Xie YL, Yan ZB, Wan JG, Liu JM, Li JY
- Issue date: 2014 May 21
- Flexible and tunable terahertz all-dielectric metasurface composed of ceramic spheres embedded in ferroelectric/ elastomer composite.
- Authors: Lan C, Zhu D, Gao J, Li B, Gao Z
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 30
- Accurate determination of dielectric permittivity of polymers from 75 GHz to 1.6 THz using both S-parameters and transmission spectroscopy.
- Authors: Chang T, Zhang X, Zhang X, Cui HL
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 20
- Intrinsic Dielectric Loss in Zr<sub>0.8</sub>Sn<sub>0.2</sub>TiO<sub>4</sub> Ceramics Investigated by Terahertz Time Domain Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Nedelcu L, Geambasu CD, Enculescu M, Banciu MG
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 5