Public reporting of outcomes in radiation oncology: the National Prostate Cancer Audit
Clarke, Noel W
van der Meulen, J.
AffiliationDepartment of Health Services Research and Policy, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe public reporting of patient outcomes is crucial for quality improvement and informing patient choice. However, outcome reporting in radiotherapy, despite being a major component of cancer control, is extremely sparse globally. Public reporting has many challenges, including difficulties in defining meaningful measures of treatment quality, limitations in data infrastructure, and fragmented health insurance schemes. The National Prostate Cancer Audit (NPCA), done in the England and Wales National Health Service (NHS), shows that it is feasible to develop outcome indicators for radiotherapy treatment, including patient-reported outcomes. The NPCA provides a transparent mechanism for comparing the performance of all NHS providers, with results accessible to patients, providers, and policy makers. Using the NPCA as a case study, we discuss the development of a radiotherapy-outcomes reporting programme, its impact and future potential, and the challenges and opportunities to develop this approach across other tumour types and in different health systems
CitationAggarwal A, Nossiter J, Parry M, Sujenthiran A, Zietman A, Clarke N, et al. Public reporting of outcomes in radiation oncology: the National Prostate Cancer Audit. Lancet Oncol. 2021.
- Organisation of Prostate Cancer Services in the English National Health Service.
- Authors: Aggarwal A, Nossiter J, Cathcart P, van der Meulen J, Rashbass J, Clarke N, Payne H
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- VA-Radiation Oncology Quality Surveillance Program.
- Authors: Hagan M, Kapoor R, Michalski J, Sandler H, Movsas B, Chetty I, Lally B, Rengan R, Robinson C, Rimner A, Simone C, Timmerman R, Zelefsky M, DeMarco J, Hamstra D, Lawton C, Potters L, Valicenti R, Mutic S, Bosch W, Abraham C, Caruthers D, Brame R, Palta JR, Sleeman W, Nalluri J
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 1
- Patient-Reported Functional Outcomes After Hypofractionated or Conventionally Fractionated Radiation for Prostate Cancer: A National Cohort Study in England.
- Authors: Nossiter J, Sujenthiran A, Cowling TE, Parry MG, Charman SC, Cathcart P, Clarke NW, Payne H, van der Meulen J, Aggarwal A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 1
- [Volume and health outcomes: evidence from systematic reviews and from evaluation of Italian hospital data].
- Authors: Amato L, Colais P, Davoli M, Ferroni E, Fusco D, Minozzi S, Moirano F, Sciattella P, Vecchi S, Ventura M, Perucci CA
- Issue date: 2013 Mar-Jun