AuthorsPatton, E. E.
Mueller, K. L.
Adams, D. J.
Aplin, A. E.
Ceol, C. J.
Holmen, S. L.
Karreth, F. A.
Kaufman, C. K.
Lombard, D. B.
Lund, A. W.
Marie, K. L.
Marine, J. C.
Robles-Espinoza, C. D.
Ronai, Z. A.
Soengas, M. S.
Weeraratna, A. T.
White, R. M.
Zon, L. I.
Hurlbert, M. S.
AffiliationMRC Human Genetics Unit and Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre, MRC Institute of Genetics & Molecular Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is a lack of appropriate melanoma models that can be used to evaluate the efficacy of novel therapeutic modalities. Here, we discuss the current state of the art of melanoma models including genetically engineered mouse, patient-derived xenograft, zebrafish, and ex vivo and in vitro models. We also identify five major challenges that can be addressed using such models, including metastasis and tumor dormancy, drug resistance, the melanoma immune response, and the impact of aging and environmental exposures on melanoma progression and drug resistance. Additionally, we discuss the opportunity for building models for rare subtypes of melanomas, which represent an unmet critical need. Finally, we identify key recommendations for melanoma models that may improve accuracy of preclinical testing and predict efficacy in clinical trials, to help usher in the next generation of melanoma therapies.
CitationPatton EE, Mueller KL, Adams DJ, Anandasabapathy N, Aplin AE, Bertolotto C, et al. Melanoma models for the next generation of therapies. Cancer Cell. 2021.
- Future perspectives in melanoma research : Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge". Napoli, December 1st-4th 2015.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Agarwala S, Botti G, Cesano A, Ciliberto G, Davies MA, Demaria S, Dummer R, Eggermont AM, Ferrone S, Fu YX, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Huber V, Khleif S, Krauthammer M, Lo RS, Masucci G, Palmieri G, Postow M, Puzanov I, Silk A, Spranger S, Stroncek DF, Tarhini A, Taube JM, Testori A, Wang E, Wargo JA, Yee C, Zarour H, Zitvogel L, Fox BA, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- Current State of Animal (Mouse) Modeling in Melanoma Research.
- Authors: Kuzu OF, Nguyen FD, Noory MA, Sharma A
- Issue date: 2015
- Modeling Melanoma In Vitro and In Vivo.
- Authors: Beaumont KA, Mohana-Kumaran N, Haass NK
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 23
- Patient-derived tumor xenograft models for melanoma drug discovery.
- Authors: Harris AL, Joseph RW, Copland JA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Systemic treatments for metastatic cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Pasquali S, Hadjinicolaou AV, Chiarion Sileni V, Rossi CR, Mocellin S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 6