First-line immune checkpoint inhibitors for extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: clinical developments and future directions
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is an aggressive and rapidly growing disease with poor prognosis. Despite intense efforts to improve clinical outcomes, platinum/etoposide chemotherapy has remained the most effective regimen for first-line extensive disease SCLC for decades. The addition of immune checkpoint inhibitors, and specifically programmed death-ligand 1 inhibitors, to standard platinum/etoposide, significantly improves survival and represents a promising advance in this field. However, identification of a predictive biomarker to refine patient selection is an area of unmet need. Further understanding of tumour immunity and mechanism of resistance is required to design novel strategies that improve survival. In this review, we describe recent developments and future directions on first-line immune checkpoint blockade for extensive disease-SCLC.
CitationOrtega-Franco A, Ackermann C, Paz-Ares L, Califano R. First-line immune checkpoint inhibitors for extensive stage small-cell lung cancer: clinical developments and future directions. ESMO Open. 2021;6(1):100003.
- Prolonging Survival: The Role of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in the Treatment of Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Melosky B, Cheema PK, Brade A, McLeod D, Liu G, Price PW, Jao K, Schellenberg DD, Juergens R, Leighl N, Chu Q
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Immunotherapy for extensive stage small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Pacheco JM
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Comparison of First-Line Treatments for Patients With Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Zhou T, Zhang Z, Luo F, Zhao Y, Hou X, Liu T, Wang K, Zhao H, Huang Y, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1
- Immunotherapy in Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Esposito G, Palumbo G, Carillio G, Manzo A, Montanino A, Sforza V, Costanzo R, Sandomenico C, La Manna C, Martucci N, La Rocca A, De Luca G, Piccirillo MC, De Cecio R, Botti G, Totaro G, Muto P, Picone C, Normanno N, Morabito A
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 4
- Use of Immunotherapy in Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Konala VM, Madhira BR, Ashraf S, Graziano S
- Issue date: 2020