Updated overall survival and PD-l1 subgroup analysis of patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer treated with atezolizumab, carboplatin, and etoposide (IMpower133)
AuthorsLiu, S. V.
Mansfield, A. S.
Garassino, M. C.
De Castro Carpeno, J.
Lee, J. S.
AffiliationLombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: IMpower133 (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT02763579), a randomized, double-blind, phase I/III study, demonstrated that adding atezolizumab (anti-programmed death-ligand 1 [PD-L1]) to carboplatin plus etoposide (CP/ET) for first-line (1L) treatment of extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (ES-SCLC) resulted in significant improvement in overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS) versus placebo plus CP/ET. Updated OS, disease progression patterns, safety, and exploratory biomarkers (PD-L1, blood-based tumor mutational burden [bTMB]) are reported. Patients and methods: Patients with untreated ES-SCLC were randomly assigned 1:1 to receive four 21-day cycles of CP (area under the curve 5 mg per mL/min intravenously [IV], day 1) plus ET (100 mg/m2 IV, days 1-3) with atezolizumab (1,200 mg IV, day 1) or placebo, and then maintenance atezolizumab or placebo until unacceptable toxicity, disease progression, or loss of clinical benefit. Tumor specimens were collected; PD-L1 testing was not required for enrollment. The two primary end points, investigator-assessed PFS and OS, were statistically significant at the interim analysis. Updated OS and PFS and exploratory biomarker analyses were conducted. Results: Patients received atezolizumab plus CP/ET (n = 201) or placebo plus CP/ET (n = 202). At the updated analysis, median follow-up for OS was 22.9 months; 302 deaths had occurred. Median OS was 12.3 and 10.3 months with atezolizumab plus CP/ET and placebo plus CP/ET, respectively (hazard ratio, 0.76; 95% CI, 0.60 to 0.95; descriptive P = .0154). At 18 months, 34.0% and 21.0% of patients were alive in atezolizumab plus CP/ET and placebo plus CP/ET arms, respectively. Patients derived benefit from the addition of atezolizumab, regardless of PD-L1 immunohistochemistry or bTMB status. Conclusion: Adding atezolizumab to CP/ET as 1L treatment for ES-SCLC continued to demonstrate improved OS and a tolerable safety profile at the updated analysis, confirming the regimen as a new standard of care. Exploratory analyses demonstrated treatment benefit independent of biomarker status.
CitationLiu SV, Reck M, Mansfield AS, Mok T, Scherpereel A, Reinmuth N, et al. Updated Overall Survival and PD-L1 Subgroup Analysis of Patients With Extensive-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer Treated With Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, and Etoposide (IMpower133). J Clin Oncol. 2021;39(6):619-30.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Safety and patient-reported outcomes of atezolizumab, carboplatin, and etoposide in extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (IMpower133): a randomized phase I/III trial.
- Authors: Mansfield AS, Każarnowicz A, Karaseva N, Sánchez A, De Boer R, Andric Z, Reck M, Atagi S, Lee JS, Garassino M, Liu SV, Horn L, Wen X, Quach C, Yu W, Kabbinavar F, Lam S, Morris S, Califano R
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- First-Line Atezolizumab plus Chemotherapy in Extensive-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Horn L, Mansfield AS, Szczęsna A, Havel L, Krzakowski M, Hochmair MJ, Huemer F, Losonczy G, Johnson ML, Nishio M, Reck M, Mok T, Lam S, Shames DS, Liu J, Ding B, Lopez-Chavez A, Kabbinavar F, Lin W, Sandler A, Liu SV, IMpower133 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 6
- Atezolizumab plus nab-paclitaxel as first-line treatment for unresectable, locally advanced or metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (IMpassion130): updated efficacy results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Schmid P, Rugo HS, Adams S, Schneeweiss A, Barrios CH, Iwata H, Diéras V, Henschel V, Molinero L, Chui SY, Maiya V, Husain A, Winer EP, Loi S, Emens LA, IMpassion130 Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Atezolizumab in Combination With Carboplatin and Nab-Paclitaxel in Advanced Squamous NSCLC (IMpower131): Results From a Randomized Phase III Trial.
- Authors: Jotte R, Cappuzzo F, Vynnychenko I, Stroyakovskiy D, Rodríguez-Abreu D, Hussein M, Soo R, Conter HJ, Kozuki T, Huang KC, Graupner V, Sun SW, Hoang T, Jessop H, McCleland M, Ballinger M, Sandler A, Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Subgroup Analysis of Japanese Patients in a Phase III Study of Atezolizumab in Extensive-stage Small-cell Lung Cancer (IMpower133).
- Authors: Nishio M, Sugawara S, Atagi S, Akamatsu H, Sakai H, Okamoto I, Takayama K, Hayashi H, Nakagawa Y, Kawakami T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov