Duration of adjuvant doublet chemotherapy (3 or 6 months) in patients with high-risk stage II colorectal cancer
AuthorsIveson, T. J.
Sobrero, A. F.
Ou, F. S.
Meyers, J. P.
Saunders, Mark P
Hollander, N. H.
AffiliationUniversity of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: As oxaliplatin results in cumulative neurotoxicity, reducing treatment duration without loss of efficacy would benefit patients and healthcare providers. Patients and methods: Four of the six studies in the International Duration of Adjuvant Chemotherapy (IDEA) collaboration included patients with high-risk stage II colon and rectal cancers. Patients were treated (clinician and/or patient choice) with either fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) or capecitabine and oxaliplatin (CAPOX) and randomly assigned to receive 3- or 6-month treatment. The primary end point is disease-free survival (DFS), and noninferiority of 3-month treatment was defined as a hazard ratio (HR) of < 1.2- v 6-month arm. To detect this with 80% power at a one-sided type one error rate of 0.10, a total of 542 DFS events were required. Results: 3,273 eligible patients were randomly assigned to either 3- or 6-month treatment with 62% receiving CAPOX and 38% FOLFOX. There were 553 DFS events. Five-year DFS was 80.7% and 83.9% for 3-month and 6-month treatment, respectively (HR, 1.17; 80% CI, 1.05 to 1.31; P [for noninferiority] .39). This crossed the noninferiority limit of 1.2. As in the IDEA stage III analysis, the duration effect appeared dependent on the chemotherapy regimen although a test of interaction was negative. HR for CAPOX was 1.02 (80% CI, 0.88 to 1.17), and HR for FOLFOX was 1.41 (80% CI, 1.18 to 1.68). Conclusion: Although noninferiority has not been demonstrated in the overall population, the convenience, reduced toxicity, and cost of 3-month adjuvant CAPOX suggest it as a potential option for high-risk stage II colon cancer if oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy is suitable. The relative contribution of the factors used to define high-risk stage II disease needs better understanding.
CitationIveson TJ, Sobrero AF, Yoshino T, Souglakos I, Ou FS, Meyers JP, et al. Duration of Adjuvant Doublet Chemotherapy (3 or 6 months) in Patients With High-Risk Stage II Colorectal Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2021;39(6):631-41.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Assessment of Duration and Effects of 3 vs 6 Months of Adjuvant Chemotherapy in High-Risk Stage II Colorectal Cancer: A Subgroup Analysis of the TOSCA Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Petrelli F, Labianca R, Zaniboni A, Lonardi S, Galli F, Rulli E, Rosati G, Corallo S, Ronzoni M, Cardellino GG, Mattioli R, Mambrini A, Ciuffreda L, Banzi M, Pusceddu V, Maiello E, Zampino M, Zagonel V, Marchetti P, Corsi D, Rimassa L, Cinieri S, Sobrero A
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- FOLFOX or CAPOX in Stage II to III Colon Cancer: Efficacy Results of the Italian Three or Six Colon Adjuvant Trial.
- Authors: Sobrero A, Lonardi S, Rosati G, Di Bartolomeo M, Ronzoni M, Pella N, Scartozzi M, Banzi M, Zampino MG, Pasini F, Marchetti P, Cantore M, Zaniboni A, Rimassa L, Ciuffreda L, Ferrari D, Zagonel V, Maiello E, Barni S, Rulli E, Labianca R, TOSCA Investigators.
- Issue date: 2018 May 20
- Three- versus six-month adjuvant FOLFOX or CAPOX for high-risk stage II and stage III colon cancer patients: the efficacy results of Hellenic Oncology Research Group (HORG) participation to the International Duration Evaluation of Adjuvant Chemotherapy (IDEA) project.
- Authors: Souglakos J, Boukovinas I, Kakolyris S, Xynogalos S, Ziras N, Athanasiadis A, Androulakis N, Christopoulou A, Vaslamatzis M, Ardavanis A, Emmanouilides C, Bompolaki I, Kourousis C, Makrantonakis P, Christofyllakis C, Athanasiadis E, Kentepozidis N, Karampeazis A, Katopodi U, Anagnosopoulos A, Papadopoulos G, Prinarakis E, Kalisperi A, Mavroudis D, Georgoulias V
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 1
- Three Versus 6 Months of Oxaliplatin-Based Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Patients With Stage III Colon Cancer: Disease-Free Survival Results From a Randomized, Open-Label, International Duration Evaluation of Adjuvant (IDEA) France, Phase III Trial.
- Authors: André T, Vernerey D, Mineur L, Bennouna J, Desrame J, Faroux R, Fratte S, Hug de Larauze M, Paget-Bailly S, Chibaudel B, Bez J, Dauba J, Louvet C, Lepere C, Dupuis O, Becouarn Y, Mabro M, Egreteau J, Bouche O, Deplanque G, Ychou M, Galais MP, Ghiringhelli F, Dourthe LM, Bachet JB, Khalil A, Bonnetain F, de Gramont A, Taieb J, for PRODIGE investigators, GERCOR, Fédération Française de Cancérologie Digestive, and UNICANCER.
- Issue date: 2018 May 20
- Duration of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage III Colon Cancer.
- Authors: Grothey A, Sobrero AF, Shields AF, Yoshino T, Paul J, Taieb J, Souglakos J, Shi Q, Kerr R, Labianca R, Meyerhardt JA, Vernerey D, Yamanaka T, Boukovinas I, Meyers JP, Renfro LA, Niedzwiecki D, Watanabe T, Torri V, Saunders M, Sargent DJ, Andre T, Iveson T
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 29