Determining the parameter space for effective oxygen depletion for FLASH radiation therapy
AuthorsRothwell, Bethany C
Merchant, Michael J
Mackay, Ranald I
Hendry, Jolyon H|Kirkby, Karen J
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, The University of Manchester Faculty of Biology Medicine and Health, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere has been a recent revival of interest in the FLASH effect, after experiments have shown normal tissue sparing capabilities of ultra-high-dose-rate radiation with no compromise on tumour growth restraint. A model has been developed to investigate the relative importance of a number of fundamental parameters considered to be involved in the oxygen depletion paradigm of induced radioresistance. An example eight-dimensional parameter space demonstrates the conditions under which radiation may induce sufficient depletion of oxygen for a diffusion-limited hypoxic cellular response. Initial results support experimental evidence that FLASH sparing is only achieved for dose rates on the order of tens of Gy/s or higher, for a sufficiently high dose, and only for tissue that is slightly hypoxic at the time of radiation. We show that the FLASH effect is the result of a number of biological, radiochemical and delivery parameters. Also, the threshold dose for a FLASH effect occurring would be more prominent when the parameterisation was optimised to produce the maximum effect. The model provides a framework for further FLASH-related investigation and experimental design. An understanding of the mechanistic interactions producing an optimised FLASH effect is essential for its translation into clinical practice.
CitationRothwell BC, Kirkby NF, Merchant MJ, Chadwick AL, Lowe M, Mackay RI, et al. Determining the parameter space for effective oxygen depletion for FLASH radiation therapy. Phys Med Biol. 2021.
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Minimum dose rate estimation for pulsed FLASH radiotherapy: A dimensional analysis.
- Authors: Zhou S, Zheng D, Fan Q, Yan Y, Wang S, Lei Y, Besemer A, Zhou C, Enke C
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Deciphering Time-Dependent DNA Damage Complexity, Repair, and Oxygen Tension: A Mechanistic Model for FLASH-Dose-Rate Radiation Therapy.
- Authors: Liew H, Mein S, Dokic I, Haberer T, Debus J, Abdollahi A, Mairani A
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 1
- A Quantitative Analysis of the Role of Oxygen Tension in FLASH Radiation Therapy.
- Authors: Petersson K, Adrian G, Butterworth K, McMahon SJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 1
- A computational model of radiolytic oxygen depletion during FLASH irradiation and its effect on the oxygen enhancement ratio.
- Authors: Pratx G, Kapp DS
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 11
- Quantification of Oxygen Depletion During FLASH Irradiation In Vitro and In Vivo.
- Authors: Cao X, Zhang R, Esipova TV, Allu SR, Ashraf R, Rahman M, Gunn JR, Bruza P, Gladstone DJ, Williams BB, Swartz HM, Hoopes PJ, Vinogradov SA, Pogue BW
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 1