AffiliationWythenshawe Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M23 9L
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractKRAS is one of the most common human oncogenes, but concerted efforts to produce direct inhibitors have largely failed, earning KRAS the title of "undruggable". Recent efforts to produce subtype specific inhibitors have been more successful, and several KRASG12C inhibitors have reached clinical trials, including adagrasib and sotorasib, which have shown early evidence of efficacy in patients. Lessons from other inhibitors of the RAS pathway suggest that the effect of these drugs will be limited in vivo by the development of drug resistance, and pre-clinical studies of G12C inhibitors have identified evidence of this. In this review we discuss the current evidence for G12C inhibitors, the mechanisms of resistance to G12C inhibitors and potential approaches to overcome them. We discuss possible targets of combination therapy, including SHP2, receptor tyrosine kinases, downstream effectors and PD1/PDL1, and review the ongoing clinical trials investigating these inhibitors.
CitationDunnett-Kane V, Nicola P, Blackhall F, Lindsay C. Mechanisms of Resistance to KRAS(G12C) Inhibitors. Cancers (Basel). 2021;13(1).
- KRAS Secondary Mutations That Confer Acquired Resistance to KRAS G12C Inhibitors, Sotorasib and Adagrasib, and Overcoming Strategies: Insights From In Vitro Experiments.
- Authors: Koga T, Suda K, Fujino T, Ohara S, Hamada A, Nishino M, Chiba M, Shimoji M, Takemoto T, Arita T, Gmachl M, Hofmann MH, Soh J, Mitsudomi T
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Vertical Pathway Inhibition Overcomes Adaptive Feedback Resistance to KRAS<sup>G12C</sup> Inhibition.
- Authors: Ryan MB, Fece de la Cruz F, Phat S, Myers DT, Wong E, Shahzade HA, Hong CB, Corcoran RB
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- KRAS inhibitor-resistance in <i>MET</i>-amplified <i>KRAS</i> <sup>G12C</sup> non-small cell lung cancer induced by RAS- and non-RAS-mediated cell signaling mechanisms.
- Authors: Suzuki S, Yonesaka K, Teramura T, Takehara T, Kato R, Sakai H, Haratani K, Tanizaki J, Kawakami H, Hayashi H, Sakai K, Nishio K, Nakagawa K
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 7
- The KRAS-G12C inhibitor: activity and resistance.
- Authors: Liu J, Kang R, Tang D
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 1
- Targeting KRAS in non-small-cell lung cancer: recent progress and new approaches.
- Authors: Reck M, Carbone DP, Garassino M, Barlesi F
- Issue date: 2021 Sep