Nanomedicine: photo-activated nanostructured titanium dioxide, as a promising anticancer agent
Tsilibary, E. C.
Vasileiou, P. V. S.
Pavlatou, E. A.
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationLaboratory of Histology-Embryology, Molecular Carcinogenesis Group, Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Science, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 75, Mikras Asias Str., Goudi, GR 11527 Athens, Greece;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe multivariate condition of cancer disease has been approached in various ways, by the scientific community. Recent studies focus on individualized treatments, minimizing the undesirable consequences of the conventional methods, but the development of an alternative effective therapeutic scheme remains to be held. Nanomedicine could provide a solution, filling this gap, exploiting the unique properties of innovative nanostructured materials. Nanostructured titanium dioxide (TiO2) has a variety of applications of daily routine and of advanced technology. Due to its biocompatibility, it has also a great number of biomedical applications. It is now clear that photo-excited TiO2 nanoparticles, induce generation of pairs of electrons and holes which react with water and oxygen to yield reactive oxygen species (ROS) that have been proven to damage cancer cells, triggering controlled cellular processes. The aim of this review is to provide insights into the field of nanomedicine and particularly into the wide context of TiO2-NP-mediated anticancer effect, shedding light on the achievements of nanotechnology and proposing this nanostructured material as a promising anticancer photosensitizer.
CitationLagopati N, Evangelou K, Falaras P, Tsilibary EC, Vasileiou PVS, Havaki S, et al. Nanomedicine: Photo-activated nanostructured titanium dioxide, as a promising anticancer agent. Pharmacol Ther. 2020;222:107795.
JournalPharmacology and Therapeutics
- Biological Effect of Silver-modified Nanostructured Titanium Dioxide in Cancer.
- Authors: Lagopati N, Kotsinas A, Veroutis D, Evangelou K, Papaspyropoulos A, Arfanis M, Falaras P, Kitsiou PV, Pateras I, Bergonzini A, Frisan T, Kyriazis S, Tsoukleris DS, Tsilibary EC, Gazouli M, Pavlatou EA, Gorgoulis VG
- Issue date: 2021 May-Jun
- Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles: Prospects and Applications in Medicine.
- Authors: Ziental D, Czarczynska-Goslinska B, Mlynarczyk DT, Glowacka-Sobotta A, Stanisz B, Goslinski T, Sobotta L
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 23
- UV-emitting upconversion-based TiO2 photosensitizing nanoplatform: near-infrared light mediated in vivo photodynamic therapy via mitochondria-involved apoptosis pathway.
- Authors: Hou Z, Zhang Y, Deng K, Chen Y, Li X, Deng X, Cheng Z, Lian H, Li C, Lin J
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 24
- Biophysical characterization of functionalized titania nanoparticles and their application in dental adhesives.
- Authors: Sun J, Petersen EJ, Watson SS, Sims CM, Kassman A, Frukhtbeyn S, Skrtic D, Ok MT, Jacobs DS, Reipa V, Ye Q, Nelson BC
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 15
- Mechanisms of titanium dioxide nanoparticle-induced oxidative stress and modulation of plasma glucose in mice.
- Authors: Hu H, Fan X, Yin Y, Guo Q, Yang D, Wei X, Zhang B, Liu J, Wu Q, Oh Y, Chen K, Feng Y, Hou L, Li L, Gu N
- Issue date: 2019 Nov