AuthorsPickering, K. A.
Cassidy, J. W.
Fey, S. K.
Najumudeen, A. K.
Zeiger, L. B.
Vincent, D. F.
Gay, D. M.
Fordham, R. P.
Unal, E. B.
Machesky, L. M.
Johnsson, A. E.
van Hoof, S. R.
Medema, J. P.
Anderson, K. I.
Brachmann, S. M.
Stucke, V. M.
Campbell, A. D.
Sansom, O. J.
AffiliationCRUK Beatson Institute, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Glasgow, G61 1BD, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRAC1 activity is critical for intestinal homeostasis, and is required for hyperproliferation driven by loss of the tumour suppressor gene Apc in the murine intestine. To avoid the impact of direct targeting upon homeostasis, we reasoned that indirect targeting of RAC1 via RAC-GEFs might be effective. Transcriptional profiling of Apc deficient intestinal tissue identified Vav3 and Tiam1 as key targets. Deletion of these indicated that while TIAM1 deficiency could suppress Apc-driven hyperproliferation, it had no impact upon tumourigenesis, while VAV3 deficiency had no effect. Intriguingly, deletion of either gene resulted in upregulation of Vav2, with subsequent targeting of all three (Vav2-/- Vav3-/- Tiam1-/-), profoundly suppressing hyperproliferation, tumourigenesis and RAC1 activity, without impacting normal homeostasis. Critically, the observed RAC-GEF dependency was negated by oncogenic KRAS mutation. Together, these data demonstrate that while targeting RAC-GEF molecules may have therapeutic impact at early stages, this benefit may be lost in late stage disease.
CitationPickering KA, Gilroy K, Cassidy JW, Fey SK, Najumudeen AK, Zeiger LB, et al. A RAC-GEF network critical for early intestinal tumourigenesis. Nat Commun. 2021;12(1):56.
- Trp(56) of rac1 specifies interaction with a subset of guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
- Authors: Gao Y, Xing J, Streuli M, Leto TL, Zheng Y
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 14
- Rac1 function is required for Src-induced transformation. Evidence of a role for Tiam1 and Vav2 in Rac activation by Src.
- Authors: Servitja JM, Marinissen MJ, Sodhi A, Bustelo XR, Gutkind JS
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 5
- Mechanism of homocysteine-induced Rac1/NADPH oxidase activation in mesangial cells: role of guanine nucleotide exchange factor Vav2.
- Authors: Yi F, Chen QZ, Jin S, Li PL
- Issue date: 2007
- Involvement of Tiam1, RhoG and ELMO2/ILK in Rac1-mediated phagocytosis in human trabecular meshwork cells.
- Authors: Peotter JL, Phillips J, Tong T, Dimeo K, Gonzalez JM Jr, Peters DM
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 1
- Extracellular adenosine-induced Rac1 activation in pulmonary endothelium: Molecular mechanisms and barrier-protective role.
- Authors: Kovacs-Kasa A, Kim KM, Cherian-Shaw M, Black SM, Fulton DJ, Verin AD
- Issue date: 2018 Aug