Ultraviolet radiation drives mutations in a subset of mucosal melanomas
AuthorsMundra, Piyushkumar A
Mikkelsen, L. H.
Reis-Filho, J. S.
Stern, M. H.
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park, SK10 4TG, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough identified as the key environmental driver of common cutaneous melanoma, the role of ultraviolet radiation (UVR)-induced DNA damage in mucosal melanoma is poorly defined. We analyze 10 mucosal melanomas of conjunctival origin by whole genome sequencing and our data shows a predominance of UVR-associated single base substitution signature 7 (SBS7) in the majority of the samples. Our data shows mucosal melanomas with SBS7 dominance have similar genomic patterns to cutaneous melanomas and therefore this subset should not be excluded from treatments currently used for common cutaneous melanoma.
CitationMundra PA, Dhomen N, Rodrigues M, Mikkelsen LH, Cassoux N, Brooks K, et al. Ultraviolet radiation drives mutations in a subset of mucosal melanomas. Nat Commun. 2021;12(1):259.
- Unexpected UVR and non-UVR mutation burden in some acral and cutaneous melanomas.
- Authors: Rawson RV, Johansson PA, Hayward NK, Waddell N, Patch AM, Lo S, Pearson JV, Thompson JF, Mann GJ, Scolyer RA, Wilmott JS
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Mutations in the TP53 gene in human malignant melanomas derived from sun-exposed skin and unexposed mucosal membranes.
- Authors: Ragnarsson-Olding BK, Karsberg S, Platz A, Ringborg UK
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Absence of BRAF mutations in UV-protected mucosal melanomas.
- Authors: Edwards RH, Ward MR, Wu H, Medina CA, Brose MS, Volpe P, Nussen-Lee S, Haupt HM, Martin AM, Herlyn M, Lessin SR, Weber BL
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Conjunctival melanomas harbor BRAF and NRAS mutations and copy number changes similar to cutaneous and mucosal melanomas.
- Authors: Griewank KG, Westekemper H, Murali R, Mach M, Schilling B, Wiesner T, Schimming T, Livingstone E, Sucker A, Grabellus F, Metz C, Süsskind D, Hillen U, Speicher MR, Woodman SE, Steuhl KP, Schadendorf D
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 15
- Distinct sets of genetic alterations in melanoma.
- Authors: Curtin JA, Fridlyand J, Kageshita T, Patel HN, Busam KJ, Kutzner H, Cho KH, Aiba S, Bröcker EB, LeBoit PE, Pinkel D, Bastian BC
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 17