Integrative p53, micro-RNA and cathepsin protease co-regulatory expression networks in cancer
AffiliationInstitute of Molecular Medicine, Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Trubetskaya str. 8-2, 119991 Moscow, Russia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs the direct regulatory role of p53 and some of its isoform proteins are becoming established in modulating gene expression in cancer research, another aspect of this mode of gene regulation that has captured significant interest over the years is the mechanistic interplay between p53 and micro-RNA transcriptional regulation. The input of this into modulating gene expression for some of the cathepsin family members has been viewed as carrying noticeable importance based on their biological effects during normal cellular homeostasis and cancer progression. While this area is still in its infancy in relation to general cathepsin gene regulation, we review the current p53-regulated micro-RNAs that are generating significant interest through their regulation of cathepsin proteases, thereby strengthening the link between activated p53 forms and cathepsin gene regulation. Additionally, we extend our understanding of this developing relationship to how such micro-RNAs are being utilized as diagnostic or prognostic tools and highlight their future uses in conjunction with cathepsin gene expression as potential biomarkers within a clinical setting.
CitationSoond SM, Kozhevnikova MV, Townsend PA, Zamyatnin AA, Jr. Integrative p53, micro-RNA and Cathepsin Protease Co-Regulatory Expression Networks in Cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(11).
- Making Connections: p53 and the Cathepsin Proteases as Co-Regulators of Cancer and Apoptosis.
- Authors: Soond SM, Savvateeva LV, Makarov VA, Gorokhovets NV, Townsend PA, Zamyatnin AA Jr
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 22
- Cathepsin D in ovarian cancer: prognostic value and correlation with p53 expression and microvessel density.
- Authors: Lösch A, Schindl M, Kohlberger P, Lahodny J, Breitenecker G, Horvat R, Birner P
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Correlation between cathepsin D expression and p53 protein nuclear accumulation in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Ikeguchi M, Sakatani T, Ueta T, Fukuda K, Oka S, Hisamitsu K, Yamaguchi K, Tsujitani S, Kaibara N
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Wild type p53-dependent transcriptional upregulation of cathepsin L expression is mediated by C/EBP&#x03B1; in human glioblastoma cells.
- Authors: Katara R, Mir RA, Shukla AA, Tiwari A, Singh N, Chauhan SS
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Inhibition of Cathepsin S Induces Mitochondrial ROS That Sensitizes TRAIL-Mediated Apoptosis Through p53-Mediated Downregulation of Bcl-2 and c-FLIP.
- Authors: Seo BR, Min KJ, Woo SM, Choe M, Choi KS, Lee YK, Yoon G, Kwon TK
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1