Making connections: p53 and the cathepsin proteases as co-regulators of cancer and apoptosis
AuthorsSoond, S. M.
Savvateeva, L. V.
Makarov, V. A.
Gorokhovets, N. V.
Townsend, Paul A
Zamyatnin, A. A., Jr.
AffiliationInstitute of Molecular Medicine, Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Trubetskaya Str. 8-2, 119991 Moscow, Russia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile viewed as the "guardian of the genome", the importance of the tumor suppressor p53 protein has increasingly gained ever more recognition in modulating additional modes of action related to cell death. Slowly but surely, its importance has evolved from a mutated genetic locus heavily implicated in a wide array of cancer types to modulating lysosomal-mediated cell death either directly or indirectly through the transcriptional regulation of the key signal transduction pathway intermediates involved in this. As an important step in determining the fate of cells in response to cytotoxicity or during stress response, lysosomal-mediated cell death has also become strongly interwoven with the key components that give the lysosome functionality in the form of the cathepsin proteases. While a number of articles have been published highlighting the independent input of p53 or cathepsins to cellular homeostasis and disease progression, one key area that warrants further focus is the regulatory relationship that p53 and its isoforms share with such proteases in regulating lysosomal-mediated cell death. Herein, we review recent developments that have shaped this relationship and highlight key areas that need further exploration to aid novel therapeutic design and intervention strategies.
CitationSoond SM, Savvateeva LV, Makarov VA, Gorokhovets NV, Townsend PA, Zamyatnin AA, Jr. Making Connections: p53 and the Cathepsin Proteases as Co-Regulators of Cancer and Apoptosis. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(11).
- Intrinsically Connected: Therapeutically Targeting the Cathepsin Proteases and the Bcl-2 Family of Protein Substrates as Co-regulators of Apoptosis.
- Authors: Soond SM, Kozhevnikova MV, Savvateeva LV, Townsend PA, Zamyatnin AA Jr
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 28
- 'Patchiness' and basic cancer research: unravelling the proteases.
- Authors: Soond SM, Kozhevnikova MV, Zamyatnin AA Jr
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Integrative p53, micro-RNA and Cathepsin Protease Co-Regulatory Expression Networks in Cancer.
- Authors: Soond SM, Kozhevnikova MV, Townsend PA, Zamyatnin AA Jr
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 20
- Induction of lysosomal membrane permeabilization by compounds that activate p53-independent apoptosis.
- Authors: Erdal H, Berndtsson M, Castro J, Brunk U, Shoshan MC, Linder S
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 4
- Lysosomal cysteine cathepsins: signaling pathways in apoptosis.
- Authors: Stoka V, Turk V, Turk B
- Issue date: 2007 Jun