Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationMolecular Carcinogenesis Group, Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Greece.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe worldwide COVID-19 pandemic outburst has caused a serious public health issue with increasing needs of accurate and rapid diagnostic and screening testing. This situation requires an optimized management of the chemical reagents, the consumables, and the human resources, in order to respond accurately and effectively, controlling the spread of the disease. Testing on pooled samples maximizes the number of tested samples, by minimizing the time and the lab supplies needed. The general conceptualization of the pooling method is based on mixing samples together in a batch. Individual testing is needed only if a specific pool exhibits a positive result. The development of alternative hybrid methods, based on "in house" protocols, utilizing commercially available consumables, in combination with a reliable pooling method would provide a solution, focusing on the better exploitation of the personnel and the lab supplies, allowing for rapid screening of a population in a reasonably short time.
CitationLagopati N, Tsioli P, Mourkioti I, Polyzou A, Papaspyropoulos A, Zafiropoulos A, et al. Sample pooling strategies for SARS-CoV-2 detection. J Virol Methods. 2020;289:114044.
JournalJournal of Virological Methods
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of four different strategies for SARS-CoV-2 surveillance in the general population (CoV-Surv Study): a structured summary of a study protocol for a cluster-randomised, two-factorial controlled trial.
- Authors: Deckert A, Anders S, de Allegri M, Nguyen HT, Souares A, McMahon S, Boerner K, Meurer M, Herbst K, Sand M, Koeppel L, Siems T, Brugnara L, Brenner S, Burk R, Lou D, Kirrmaier D, Duan Y, Ovchinnikova S, Marx M, Kräusslich HG, Knop M, Bärnighausen T, Denkinger C
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 8
- Recommendations for sample pooling on the Cepheid GeneXpert® system using the Cepheid Xpert® Xpress SARS-CoV-2 assay.
- Authors: Becker MG, Taylor T, Kiazyk S, Cabiles DR, Meyers AFA, Sandstrom PA
- Issue date: 2020
- Comparing two sample pooling strategies for SARS-CoV-2 RNA detection for efficient screening of COVID-19.
- Authors: Chen F, Geng Z, Wang J, Liuchang W, Huang D, Xu Y, Wang Z, Wang L
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 27
- Large-scale implementation of pooled RNA extraction and RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 detection.
- Authors: Ben-Ami R, Klochendler A, Seidel M, Sido T, Gurel-Gurevich O, Yassour M, Meshorer E, Benedek G, Fogel I, Oiknine-Djian E, Gertler A, Rotstein Z, Lavi B, Dor Y, Wolf DG, Salton M, Drier Y, Hebrew University-Hadassah COVID-19 Diagnosis Team.
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Simple Questionnaires to Improve Pooling Strategies for SARS-CoV-2 Laboratory Testing.
- Authors: Schneitler S, Jung P, Bub F, Alhussein F, Benthien S, Berger FK, Berkó-Göttel B, Eisenbeis J, Hahn D, Halfmann A, Last K, Linxweiler M, Lohse S, Papan C, Pfuhl T, Rissland J, Roth S, Schlotthauer U, Utzinger J, Smola S, Gärtner BC, Becker SL
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 18