Bladder preservation: translating discovery for clinical impact in urothelial cancer
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMuscle-invasive bladder cancer can be treated with either radical cystectomy or bladder preservation approaches, and there is a need for reliable biomarkers to guide the optimal choice of therapy. The recent elucidation of the genomic landscape and biological drivers of bladder cancer has enabled the identification of tumor molecular features that may be helpful in driving clinical decision-making. Here, we summarize recent efforts to develop molecular biomarkers that could be leveraged to guide therapeutic decisions, post-treatment monitoring, and the optimal use of bladder preservation approaches for the effective treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
CitationMiyamoto DT, Abbosh PH, West CML, Mouw KW. Bladder preservation: Translating discovery for clinical impact in urothelial cancer. Urol Oncol. 2020.
- Urothelial carcinoma in situ response to cisplatin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy, or lack thereof: Impact on patient selection for organ preservation in muscle-invasive disease?
- Authors: Tachibana I, Bandali E, Calaway AC, Krishnan N, Cheng L, Adra N, Kaimakliotis HZ
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Selective organ preservation in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: review of the literature.
- Authors: Khosravi-Shahi P, Cabezón-Gutiérrez L
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- [Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: bladder-sparing therapy].
- Authors: Vom Dorp F, Tschirdewahn S, Szarvas T, Rübben H, Kraemer R, Rehme C
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Contemporary use trends and survival outcomes in patients undergoing radical cystectomy or bladder-preservation therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
- Authors: Cahn DB, Handorf EA, Ghiraldi EM, Ristau BT, Geynisman DM, Churilla TM, Horwitz EM, Sobczak ML, Chen DYT, Viterbo R, Greenberg RE, Kutikov A, Uzzo RG, Smaldone MC
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 15
- "Advancing bladder preservation: Biomarkers, decision-making, and therapy".
- Authors: McConkey D, Best CJM, Gumminger JA, Olumi AF
- Issue date: 2021 Apr