Liquid biopsy in small cell lung cancer-a route to improved clinical care?
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) has a particularly poor prognosis despite the high initial response to first-line systemic therapy, and there is a well-recognised lack of meaningful treatments beyond the second line. A number of reasons have been put forward to explain this, including a lack of common, easily-druggable genetic mutations in SCLC and rarity of high-quality tissue samples due to late presentation. Liquid biopsies, including circulating tumour cells (CTCs) and circulating tumour DNA (ctDNA) are increasingly used as surrogates for tumour tissue and have the advantage of being easily obtained serially to inform on the biology of disease progression and acquired chemoresistance, and may provide a pathway to improve care in this notoriously refractory disease. Here we discuss the current evidence behind these liquid biopsy methods in SCLC, and how they could be employed in future clinical care.
CitationChurch M, Carter L, Blackhall F. Liquid Biopsy in Small Cell Lung Cancer-A Route to Improved Clinical Care? Cells. 2020;9(12).
- The predictive and prognostic significance of liquid biopsy in advanced epidermal growth factor receptor-mutated non-small cell lung cancer: A prospective study.
- Authors: Ding PN, Becker TM, Bray VJ, Chua W, Ma YF, Lynch D, Po J, Luk AWS, Caixeiro N, de Souza P, Roberts TL
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- The clinical utility of circulating tumour cells in patients with small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Foy V, Fernandez-Gutierrez F, Faivre-Finn C, Dive C, Blackhall F
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- [Liquid biopsy in colorectal cancer : An overview of ctDNA analysis in tumour diagnostics].
- Authors: Haupts A, Roth W, Hartmann N
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Will liquid biopsies improve outcomes for patients with small-cell lung cancer?
- Authors: Blackhall F, Frese KK, Simpson K, Kilgour E, Brady G, Dive C
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Current Status and Future Perspectives of Liquid Biopsy in Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Mondelo-Macía P, García-González J, León-Mateos L, Castillo-García A, López-López R, Muinelo-Romay L, Díaz-Peña R
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 7