Cardiac toxicity of thoracic radiotherapy: existing evidence and future directions
Aznar, Marianne Camille
Vozenin, M. C.
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe impact of radiotherapy on the heart has become an area of interest in recent years. Many different cardiac dose volume constraints have been associated with cardiac toxicity and survival however, no consistent constraint has been found. Many patients undergoing treatment for lung cancer have risk factors for cardiovascular disease or known cardiac comorbidities however, there is little evidence on the effects of radiotherapy on the heart in these patients. We aim to provide a summary of the existing literature on cardiac toxicity of lung cancer radiotherapy, propose strategies to avoid and manage cardiac toxicity and suggest avenues for future research.
CitationBanfill K, Giuliani M, Aznar M, Franks K, McWilliam A, Schmitt M, et al. Cardiac Toxicity of Thoracic Radiotherapy: Existing Evidence and Future Directions. J Thorac Oncol. 2020.
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Cardiac Exposure in the Dynamic Conformal Arc Therapy, Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy of Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Ming X, Feng Y, Liu H, Zhang Y, Zhou L, Deng J
- Issue date: 2015
- Palliative radiotherapy regimens for patients with thoracic symptoms from non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Stevens R, Macbeth F, Toy E, Coles B, Lester JF
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 14
- Dosimetric Predictors of Cardiotoxicity in Thoracic Radiotherapy for Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Borkenhagen JF, Bergom C, Rapp CT, Klawikowski SJ, Rein LE, Gore EM
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- [Is cardiotoxicity still an issue after breast-conserving surgery and could it be reduced by multifield IMRT?].
- Authors: Lohr F, Heggemann F, Papavassiliu T, El-Haddad M, Tomé O, Dinter D, Dobler B, Kraus-Tiefenbacher U, Borggrefe M, Wenz F
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Using Bayesian logistic regression to evaluate a new type of dosimetric constraint for prostate radiotherapy treatment planning.
- Authors: Buettner F, Gulliford SL, Webb S, Partridge M
- Issue date: 2010 Apr