Cardiac toxicity of thoracic radiotherapy: existing evidence and future directions
Aznar, Marianne Camille
Vozenin, M. C.
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe impact of radiotherapy on the heart has become an area of interest in recent years. Many different cardiac dose volume constraints have been associated with cardiac toxicity and survival however, no consistent constraint has been found. Many patients undergoing treatment for lung cancer have risk factors for cardiovascular disease or known cardiac comorbidities however, there is little evidence on the effects of radiotherapy on the heart in these patients. We aim to provide a summary of the existing literature on cardiac toxicity of lung cancer radiotherapy, propose strategies to avoid and manage cardiac toxicity and suggest avenues for future research.
CitationBanfill K, Giuliani M, Aznar M, Franks K, McWilliam A, Schmitt M, et al. Cardiac Toxicity of Thoracic Radiotherapy: Existing Evidence and Future Directions. J Thorac Oncol. 2020.
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Dosimetric Predictors of Cardiotoxicity in Thoracic Radiotherapy for Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Borkenhagen JF, Bergom C, Rapp CT, Klawikowski SJ, Rein LE, Gore EM
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Survival Impact of Cardiac Dose Following Lung Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy.
- Authors: Wong OY, Yau V, Kang J, Glick D, Lindsay P, Le LW, Sun A, Bezjak A, Cho BCJ, Hope A, Giuliani M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Effect of Radiation Doses to the Heart on Survival for Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for Early-stage Non-Small-cell Lung Cancer: An Artificial Neural Network Approach.
- Authors: Chan ST, Ruan D, Shaverdian N, Raghavan G, Cao M, Lee P
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- [Normal tissue tolerance to external beam radiation therapy: cardiac structures].
- Authors: Doyen J, Giraud P, Belkacemi Y
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- [An analysis of 20 consecutive patients treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy on Novalis Tx(®) for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Guillerme F, Clavier JB, Schumacher C, Falcoz PE, Bourrhala K, Santelmo N, Hassler S, Schott R, Quoix E, Massard G, Noël G
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug