Cardiac toxicity of thoracic radiotherapy: existing evidence and future directions
Aznar, Marianne Camille
Vozenin, M. C.
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe impact of radiotherapy on the heart has become an area of interest in recent years. Many different cardiac dose volume constraints have been associated with cardiac toxicity and survival however, no consistent constraint has been found. Many patients undergoing treatment for lung cancer have risk factors for cardiovascular disease or known cardiac comorbidities however, there is little evidence on the effects of radiotherapy on the heart in these patients. We aim to provide a summary of the existing literature on cardiac toxicity of lung cancer radiotherapy, propose strategies to avoid and manage cardiac toxicity and suggest avenues for future research.
CitationBanfill K, Giuliani M, Aznar M, Franks K, McWilliam A, Schmitt M, et al. Cardiac Toxicity of Thoracic Radiotherapy: Existing Evidence and Future Directions. J Thorac Oncol. 2020.
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Cardiac Exposure in the Dynamic Conformal Arc Therapy, Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy of Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Ming X, Feng Y, Liu H, Zhang Y, Zhou L, Deng J
- Issue date: 2015
- Dosimetric Predictors of Cardiotoxicity in Thoracic Radiotherapy for Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Borkenhagen JF, Bergom C, Rapp CT, Klawikowski SJ, Rein LE, Gore EM
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Proton vs photon: A model-based approach to patient selection for reduction of cardiac toxicity in locally advanced lung cancer.
- Authors: Teoh S, Fiorini F, George B, Vallis KA, Van den Heuvel F
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Cardiac Toxicity After Radiotherapy for Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Pooled Analysis of Dose-Escalation Trials Delivering 70 to 90 Gy.
- Authors: Wang K, Eblan MJ, Deal AM, Lipner M, Zagar TM, Wang Y, Mavroidis P, Lee CB, Jensen BC, Rosenman JG, Socinski MA, Stinchcombe TE, Marks LB
- Issue date: 2017 May 1
- Cardiac Dose in Locally Advanced Lung Cancer: Results From a Statewide Consortium.
- Authors: Dess RT, Sun Y, Muenz DG, Paximadis PA, Dominello MM, Grills IS, Kestin LL, Movsas B, Masi KJ, Matuszak MM, Radawski JD, Moran JM, Pierce LJ, Hayman JA, Schipper MJ, Jolly S, Michigan Radiation Oncology Quality Consortium.
- Issue date: 2020 Jan - Feb