The role of imaging in head and neck cancer: An overview of different imaging modalities in primary diagnosis and staging of the disease
AffiliationRoyal Preston Hospital, Preston, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiology has an essential role in diagnosis, staging, and management in all subspecialties related to oncology. It has a broad utility from its use as an initial screening tool for cancer detection, followed by staging and surveillance of disease as well as the delivery of appropriate treatment regimens. In order to plan a treatment, the use of different modalities of radiological imaging are a key factor for pre-treatment planning and staging of the extent of disease in accordance with tumor-node-metastasis (TNM) system for highly conformal treatments, such as brachytherapy (BT). In this work, we present an overview of main modalities of imaging and principles of their application especially in head and neck cancer, with its diagnosis, treatment, follow-up with post-treatment changes, and overall management.
CitationVishwanath V, Jafarieh S, Rembielak A. The role of imaging in head and neck cancer: An overview of different imaging modalities in primary diagnosis and staging of the disease. J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2020;12(5):512-8.
JournalJournal of Contemporary Brachytherapy
- The role of ultrasound in primary workup of cervical cancer staging (ESGO, ESTRO, ESP cervical cancer guidelines).
- Authors: Fischerová D, Cibula D
- Issue date: 2019 Winter
- Comparison between anatomical cross-sectional imaging and 18F-FDG PET/CT in the staging, restaging, treatment response, and long-term surveillance of squamous cell head and neck cancer: a systematic literature overview.
- Authors: Evangelista L, Cervino AR, Chondrogiannis S, Marzola MC, Maffione AM, Colletti PM, Muzzio PC, Rubello D
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- [Correlation of FDG-PET and MRI/CT with histopathology in primary diagnosis, lymph node staging and diagnosis of recurrency of head and neck cancer].
- Authors: Pöpperl G, Lang S, Dagdelen O, Jäger L, Tiling R, Hahn K, Tatsch K
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Clinical Applications of FDG PET and PET/CT in Head and Neck Cancer.
- Authors: Al-Ibraheem A, Buck A, Krause BJ, Scheidhauer K, Schwaiger M
- Issue date: 2009
- Should PET/CT be implemented in the routine imaging work-up of locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma? A prospective analysis.
- Authors: Cacicedo J, Fernandez I, Del Hoyo O, Dolado A, Gómez-Suarez J, Hortelano E, Sancho A, Pijoan JI, Alvarez J, Espinosa JM, Gaafar A, Bilbao P
- Issue date: 2015 Aug