Proposal for the delineation of neoadjuvant target volumes in oesophageal cancer
Mortensen, H. R.
Møller, D. S.
Troost, E. G. C.
Muijs, C. T.
AffiliationKU Leuven - University of Leuven, Department of Oncology - Laboratory of Experimental Radiotherapy, Leuven, Belgium; University Hospitals Leuven, Department of Radiation Oncology, Leuven, Belgium.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: To define instructions for delineation of target volumes in the neoadjuvant setting in oesophageal cancer. Materials and methods: Radiation oncologists of five European centres participated in the following consensus process:  revision of published (MEDLINE) and national/institutional delineation guidelines;  first delineation round of five cases (patient 1-5) according to national/institutional guidelines;  consensus meeting to discuss the results of step 1 and 2, followed by a target volume delineation proposal;  circulation of proposed instructions for target volume delineation and atlas for feedback;  second delineation round of five new cases (patient 6-10) to peer review and validate (two additional centres) the agreed delineation guidelines and atlas;  final consensus on the delineation guidelines depicted in an atlas. Target volumes of the delineation rounds were compared between centres by Dice similarity coefficient (DSC) and maximum/mean undirected Hausdorff distances (Hmax/Hmean). Results: In the first delineation round, the consistency between centres was moderate (CTVtotal: DSC=0.59-0.88; Hmean=0.2-0.4cm). Delineations in the second round were much more consistent. Lowest variability was obtained between centres participating in the consensus meeting (CTVtotal: DSC: p<0.050 between rounds for patients 6/7/8/10; Hmean: p<0.050 for patients 7/8/10), compared to validation centres (CTVtotal: DSC: p<0.050 between validation and consensus meeting centres for patients 6/7/8; Hmean: p<0.050 for patients 7/10). A proposal for delineation of target volumes and an atlas were generated. Conclusion: We proposed instructions for target volume delineation and an atlas for the neoadjuvant radiation treatment in oesophageal cancer. These will enable a more uniform delineation of patients in clinical practice and clinical trials.
CitationThomas M, Mortensen HR, Hoffmann L, Moller DS, Troost EGC, Muijs CT, et al. Proposal for the delineation of neoadjuvant target volumes in oesophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2020;156:102-12.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Delineation of target volumes and organs at risk in adjuvant radiotherapy of early breast cancer: national guidelines and contouring atlas by the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.
- Authors: Nielsen MH, Berg M, Pedersen AN, Andersen K, Glavicic V, Jakobsen EH, Jensen I, Josipovic M, Lorenzen EL, Nielsen HM, Stenbygaard L, Thomsen MS, Vallentin S, Zimmermann S, Offersen BV, Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group Radiotherapy Committee.
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Interobserver variability in delineation of target volumes in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: van der Veen J, Gulyban A, Nuyts S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Deep learning for elective neck delineation: More consistent and time efficient.
- Authors: van der Veen J, Willems S, Bollen H, Maes F, Nuyts S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Variability of clinical target volume delineation for rectal cancer patients planned for neoadjuvant radiotherapy with the aid of the platform Anatom-e.
- Authors: Franco P, Arcadipane F, Trino E, Gallio E, Martini S, Iorio GC, Piva C, Moretto F, Ruo Redda MG, Verna R, Tseroni V, Bona C, Pozzi G, Fiandra C, Ragona R, Bertetto O, Ricardi U
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Consensus on Contouring Primary Breast Tumors on MRI in the Setting of Neoadjuvant Partial Breast Irradiation in Trials.
- Authors: Vasmel JE, Groot Koerkamp ML, Kirby AM, Russell NS, Shaitelman SF, Vesprini D, Anandadas CN, Currey A, Keller BM, Braunstein LZ, Han K, Kotte ANTJ, de Waard SN, Philippens MEP, Houweling AC, Verkooijen HM, van den Bongard HJGD
- Issue date: 2020 Nov - Dec