Current and new biomarkers for early detection, prognostic stratification, and management of gallbladder cancer patients
Roa, J. C.
On Behalf Of The European-Latin American Escalon, C.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago 8330024, Chile.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGallbladder cancer (GBC) is an aggressive disease that shows evident geographic variation and is characterized by a poor prognosis, mainly due to the late diagnosis and ineffective treatment. Genetic variants associated with GBC susceptibility, including polymorphisms within the toll-like receptors TLR2 and TLR4, the cytochrome P450 1A1 (CYP1A1), and the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter ABCG8 genes, represent promising biomarkers for the stratification of patients at higher risk of GBC; thus, showing potential to prioritize cholecystectomy, particularly considering that early diagnosis is difficult due to the absence of specific signs and symptoms. Similarly, our better understanding of the gallbladder carcinogenic processes has led to identify several cellular and molecular events that may influence patient management, including HER2 aberrations, high tumor mutational burden, microsatellite instability, among others. Despite these reports on interesting and promising markers for risk assessment, diagnosis, and prognosis; there is an unmet need for reliable and validated biomarkers that can improve the management of GBC patients and support clinical decision-making. This review article examines the most potentially significant biomarkers of susceptibility, diagnosis, prognosis, and therapy selection for GBC patients, highlighting the need to find and validate existing and new molecular biomarkers to improve patient outcomes.
CitationGarcia P, Lamarca A, Diaz J, Carrera E, Roa JC, On Behalf Of The European-Latin American Escalon C. Current and New Biomarkers for Early Detection, Prognostic Stratification, and Management of Gallbladder Cancer Patients. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(12).
- Novel biomarkers for the diagnosis and prognosis of gallbladder cancer.
- Authors: Lin HZ, Zhang T, Chen MY, Shen JL
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Molecular pathways and potential biomarkers in gallbladder cancer: A comprehensive review.
- Authors: Montalvo-Jave EE, Rahnemai-Azar AA, Papaconstantinou D, Deloiza ME, Tsilimigras DI, Moris D, Mendoza-Barrera GE, Weber SM, Pawlik TM
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Single nucleotide polymorphism in the ABCG8 transporter gene is associated with gallbladder cancer susceptibility.
- Authors: Srivastava A, Tulsyan S, Pandey SN, Choudhuri G, Mittal B
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- MicroRNA aberrations: An emerging field for gallbladder cancer management.
- Authors: Chandra V, Kim JJ, Mittal B, Rai R
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 7
- CYP1A1, GSTM1, GSTT1 and TP53 Polymorphisms and Risk of Gallbladder Cancer in Bolivians.
- Authors: Sakai K, Loza E, Roig GV, Nozaki R, Asai T, Ikoma T, Tsuchiya Y, Kiyohara C, Yamamoto M, Nakamura K
- Issue date: 2016