Spontaneous aortic haematoma in a patient receiving adjuvant folinic acid, 5-fluorouracil, irinotecan, and oxaliplatin chemotherapy following resection of a pancreatic adenocarcinoma
AffiliationMedical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, GBR.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis case report describes the finding of a spontaneous aortic haematoma in a patient receiving adjuvant folinic acid, 5-fluorouracil, irinotecan, and oxaliplatin (FOLFIRINOX) chemotherapy following resection of a pancreatic adenocarcinoma. The haematoma was thought to have arisen secondary to a chemotherapy-induced vasculitis affecting the aorta, as the patient had no other risk factors for de novo aortitis or aortic haematoma. There have been several previously documented cases of associations between chemotherapy agents (in particular platinum-based agents) and vasculitis. This report includes computed tomography (CT) images and a discussion of the literature of related cases. This case is a good example of rare vascular toxicities arising from chemotherapy, the impact such rare complications have upon further chemotherapy options, and how these should be discussed when consenting patients for chemotherapy due to the potentially life-threatening complications.
CitationDacie R, Woodhouse L, Mullan D, Lamarca A. Spontaneous Aortic Haematoma in a Patient Receiving Adjuvant Folinic Acid, 5-Fluorouracil, Irinotecan, and Oxaliplatin Chemotherapy Following Resection of a Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Cureus. 2020;12(10):e10908.
- CT evaluation after neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX chemotherapy for borderline and locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Wagner M, Antunes C, Pietrasz D, Cassinotto C, Zappa M, Sa Cunha A, Lucidarme O, Bachet JB
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Synchronous Primary Pancreatic Ductal Carcinoma and Colonic Adenocarcinoma Present in a Patient With History of Skin Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Cao C, Parikh P, Moezardalan K, Anantharaman A, Azarm A, Lai J
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Metastasized pancreatic carcinoma with neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX therapy and R0 resection.
- Authors: Schneitler S, Kröpil P, Riemer J, Antoch G, Knoefel WT, Häussinger D, Graf D
- Issue date: 2015 May 28
- Pathological complete response in pancreatic adenocarcinoma with FOLFIRINOX.
- Authors: Kao CT, Aziz M, Kasi A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1
- 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin combined with irinotecan and oxaliplatin (FOLFIRINOX) as second-line chemotherapy in patients with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Assaf E, Verlinde-Carvalho M, Delbaldo C, Grenier J, Sellam Z, Pouessel D, Bouaita L, Baumgaertner I, Sobhani I, Tayar C, Paul M, Culine S
- Issue date: 2011