Mechanisms and consequences of dysregulation of the Tiam family of Rac activators in disease
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park SK10 4TG, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Tiam family proteins - Tiam1 and Tiam2/STEF - are Rac1-specific Guanine Nucleotide Exchange Factors (GEFs) with important functions in epithelial, neuronal, immune and other cell types. Tiam GEFs regulate cellular migration, proliferation and survival, mainly through activating and directing Rac1 signalling. Dysregulation of the Tiam GEFs is significantly associated with human diseases including cancer, immunological and neurological disorders. Uncovering the mechanisms and consequences of dysregulation is therefore imperative to improving the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Here we compare and contrast the subcellular localisation and function of Tiam1 and Tiam2/STEF, and review the evidence for their dysregulation in disease.
CitationMaltas J, Reed H, Porter A, Malliri A. Mechanisms and consequences of dysregulation of the Tiam family of Rac activators in disease. Biochem Soc Trans. 2020.
JournalBiochemical Society Transactions
- The guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tiam1: a Janus-faced molecule in cellular signaling.
- Authors: Boissier P, Huynh-Do U
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Characterization of STEF, a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rac1, required for neurite growth.
- Authors: Matsuo N, Hoshino M, Yoshizawa M, Nabeshima Y
- Issue date: 2002 Jan 25
- The Rac GTP exchange factor TIAM-1 acts with CDC-42 and the guidance receptor UNC-40/DCC in neuronal protrusion and axon guidance.
- Authors: Demarco RS, Struckhoff EC, Lundquist EA
- Issue date: 2012
- Roles of STEF/Tiam1, guanine nucleotide exchange factors for Rac1, in regulation of growth cone morphology.
- Authors: Matsuo N, Terao M, Nabeshima Y, Hoshino M
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Interaction between Tiam1 and the Arp2/3 complex links activation of Rac to actin polymerization.
- Authors: Ten Klooster JP, Evers EE, Janssen L, Machesky LM, Michiels F, Hordijk P, Collard JG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 1