Bayman, Neil A
de Liguori Carino, N.
Danson, S. J.
Corrie, P. G.
Doherty, G. J.
Cheung, K. L.
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ageing population poses new challenges globally. Cancer care for older patients is one of these challenges, and it has a significant impact on societies. In the United Kingdom (UK), as the number of older cancer patients increases, the management of this group has become part of daily practice for most oncology teams in every geographical area. Older cancer patients are at a higher risk of both under- and over-treatment. Therefore, the assessment of a patient's biological age and effective organ functional reserve becomes paramount. This may then guide treatment decisions by better estimating a prognosis and the risk-to-benefit ratio of a given therapy to anticipate and mitigate against potential toxicities/difficulties. Moreover, older cancer patients are often affected by geriatric syndromes and other issues that impact their overall health, function and quality of life. Comprehensive geriatric assessments offer an opportunity to identify and address health problems which may then optimise one's fitness and well-being. Whilst it is widely accepted that older cancer patients may benefit from such an approach, resources are often scarce, and access to dedicated services and research remains limited to specific centres across the UK. The aim of this project is to map the current services and projects in the UK to learn from each other and shape the future direction of care of older patients with cancer.
CitationGomes F, Lewis A, Morris R, Parks R, Kalsi T, Babic-Illamn G, et al. The care of older cancer patients in the United Kingdom. Ecancermedicalscience. 2020;14:1101.
- Right care, first time: a highly personalised and measurement-based care model to manage youth mental health.
- Authors: Hickie IB, Scott EM, Cross SP, Iorfino F, Davenport TA, Guastella AJ, Naismith SL, Carpenter JS, Rohleder C, Crouse JJ, Hermens DF, Koethe D, Markus Leweke F, Tickell AM, Sawrikar V, Scott J
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Critical Care Network in the State of Qatar.
- Authors: Hijjeh M, Al Shaikh L, Alinier G, Selwood D, Malmstrom F, Hassan IF
- Issue date: 2019
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of home-based, nurse-led health promotion for older people: a systematic review.
- Authors: Tappenden P, Campbell F, Rawdin A, Wong R, Kalita N
- Issue date: 2012
- Assessment methods and services for older people with cancer in the United Kingdom.
- Authors: Kalsi T, Harari D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 24
- Geriatric oncology: challenges for the new century.
- Authors: Balducci L
- Issue date: 2000 Sep