Engineering microrobots for targeted cancer therapies from a medical perspective
AffiliationManchester Cancer Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, 555 Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4GJ, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSystemic chemotherapy remains the backbone of many cancer treatments. Due to its untargeted nature and the severe side effects it can cause, numerous nanomedicine approaches have been developed to overcome these issues. However, targeted delivery of therapeutics remains challenging. Engineering microrobots is increasingly receiving attention in this regard. Their functionalities, particularly their motility, allow microrobots to penetrate tissues and reach cancers more efficiently. Here, we highlight how different microrobots, ranging from tailor-made motile bacteria and tiny bubble-propelled microengines to hybrid spermbots, can be engineered to integrate sophisticated features optimised for precision-targeting of a wide range of cancers. Towards this, we highlight the importance of integrating clinicians, the public and cancer patients early on in the development of these novel technologies.
CitationSchmidt CK, Medina-Sanchez M, Edmondson RJ, Schmidt OG. Engineering microrobots for targeted cancer therapies from a medical perspective. Nat Commun. 2020;11(1):5618.
- Advanced targeted therapies in cancer: Drug nanocarriers, the future of chemotherapy.
- Authors: Pérez-Herrero E, Fernández-Medarde A
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Targeted nanomedicine for cancer therapeutics: Towards precision medicine overcoming drug resistance.
- Authors: Bar-Zeev M, Livney YD, Assaraf YG
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Role of integrated cancer nanomedicine in overcoming drug resistance.
- Authors: Iyer AK, Singh A, Ganta S, Amiji MM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Advances in refunctionalization of erythrocyte-based nanomedicine for enhancing cancer-targeted drug delivery.
- Authors: Sun D, Chen J, Wang Y, Ji H, Peng R, Jin L, Wu W
- Issue date: 2019
- Nanocarrier-Based Therapeutics and Theranostics Drug Delivery Systems for Next Generation of Liver Cancer Nanodrug Modalities.
- Authors: Ruman U, Fakurazi S, Masarudin MJ, Hussein MZ
- Issue date: 2020