Therapeutic strategies for the management of hormone receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive (HR+/HER2+) breast cancer: a review of the current literature
Wardley, Andrew M
AffiliationEli Lilly and Company Limited, Erl Wood Manor, Windlesham, Surrey GU20 6PH, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEnormous advances have been made in the understanding and treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer (HER2+ BC) in the last 30 years that have resulted in survival gains for affected patients. A growing body of evidence suggests that hormone receptor-positive (HR+)/HER2+ BC and HR-negative (HR-)/HER2+ BC are biologically different, with complex molecular bidirectional crosstalk between the estrogen receptor and HER2 pathway potentially affecting sensitivity to both HER2-targeted and endocrine therapy in patients with HR+/HER2+ BC. Subgroup analyses from trials enrolling patients with HER2+ BC and the results of clinical trials specifically designed to evaluate therapy in patients with HR+/HER2+ BC are helping to guide treatment decisions. In this context, encouraging results with strategies aimed at delaying or reversing drug resistance, including extended adjuvant therapy and the addition of drugs targeting alternative pathways, such as cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) 4 and 6 inhibitors, have recently emerged. We have reached the point where tailoring the treatment according to risk and biology has become the paradigm in early BC. However, further clinical trials are needed that integrate translational research principles and identify and consider specific patient subgroups and biomarkers.
CitationThanopoulou E, Khader L, Caira M, Wardley A, Ettl J, Miglietta F, et al. Therapeutic Strategies for the Management of Hormone Receptor-Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Positive (HR+/HER2+) Breast Cancer: A Review of the Current Literature. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(11).
- Resistance to therapy in estrogen receptor positive and human epidermal growth factor 2 positive breast cancers: progress with latest therapeutic strategies.
- Authors: Lousberg L, Collignon J, Jerusalem G
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- De-Escalation Strategies in Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 (HER2)-Positive Early Breast Cancer (BC): Final Analysis of the West German Study Group Adjuvant Dynamic Marker-Adjusted Personalized Therapy Trial Optimizing Risk Assessment and Therapy Response Prediction in Early BC HER2- and Hormone Receptor-Positive Phase II Randomized Trial-Efficacy, Safety, and Predictive Markers for 12 Weeks of Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab Emtansine With or Without Endocrine Therapy (ET) Versus Trastuzumab Plus ET.
- Authors: Harbeck N, Gluz O, Christgen M, Kates RE, Braun M, Küemmel S, Schumacher C, Potenberg J, Kraemer S, Kleine-Tebbe A, Augustin D, Aktas B, Forstbauer H, Tio J, von Schumann R, Liedtke C, Grischke EM, Schumacher J, Wuerstlein R, Kreipe HH, Nitz UA
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 10
- Use of cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) 4/6 inhibitors for hormone receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative, metastatic breast cancer: a roundtable discussion by The Breast Cancer Therapy Expert Group (BCTEG).
- Authors: Abraham J, Coleman R, Elias A, Holmes FA, Kalinsky K, Kittaneh M, Lower E, Mahtani R, Terry Mamounas E, Pegram M, Vogel C, Breast Cancer Therapy Expert Group (BCTEG).
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Hormone Receptor/Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-positive breast cancer: Where we are now and where we are going.
- Authors: Schettini F, Buono G, Cardalesi C, Desideri I, De Placido S, Del Mastro L
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Cyclin-dependent kinase 4 and 6 inhibitors in hormone receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 negative advanced breast cancer: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.
- Authors: Li J, Fu F, Yu L, Huang M, Lin Y, Mei Q, Lv J, Wang C
- Issue date: 2020 Feb