ICON 9-an international phase III randomized study to evaluate the efficacy of maintenance therapy with olaparib and cediranib or olaparib alone in patients with relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer following a response to platinum-based chemotherapy
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationUniversity College CRUK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, UCL Cancer Institute, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Two novel biological agents-cediranib targeting angiogenesis, and olaparib targeting DNA repair processes-have individually led to an improvement in ovarian cancer control. The aim of ICON9 is to investigate the combination of cediranib and olaparib maintenance in recurrent ovarian cancer following platinum-based therapy. Primary objective: To assess the efficacy of maintenance treatment with olaparib in combination with cediranib compared with olaparib alone following a response to platinum-based chemotherapy in women with platinum-sensitive ovarian, fallopian tube or peritoneal cancer during first relapse. Study hypothesis: Maintenance therapy with cediranib and olaparib in combination is associated with improved patient outcomes compared with olaparib alone. Trial design: International phase III randomized controlled trial. Following a response to platinum-based chemotherapy patients are randomized 1:1 to either oral olaparib and cediranib (intervention arm) or oral olaparib alone (control arm). Major inclusion criteria: Patients with a known diagnosis of high grade serous or endometrioid carcinoma of the ovary, fallopian tube or peritoneum, progressing more than 6 months after first-line platinum-based chemotherapy, who have responded to second-line platinum-based chemotherapy. Primary endpoints: Progression-free and overall survival. Co-primary endpoints to be assessed using a fixed-sequence gatekeeping approach: (1) progression-free survival, all patients; (2) progression-free survival, BRCA wild type; (3) overall survival, all patients; (4) overall survival, BRCA wild type.
CitationElyashiv O, Ledermann J, Parmar G, Farrelly L, Counsell N, Feeney A, et al. ICON 9-an international phase III randomized study to evaluate the efficacy of maintenance therapy with olaparib and cediranib or olaparib alone in patients with relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer following a response to platinum-based chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2020.
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Cancer
- Combination cediranib and olaparib versus olaparib alone for women with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: a randomised phase 2 study.
- Authors: Liu JF, Barry WT, Birrer M, Lee JM, Buckanovich RJ, Fleming GF, Rimel B, Buss MK, Nattam S, Hurteau J, Luo W, Quy P, Whalen C, Obermayer L, Lee H, Winer EP, Kohn EC, Ivy SP, Matulonis UA
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Overall survival and updated progression-free survival outcomes in a randomized phase II study of combination cediranib and olaparib versus olaparib in relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Liu JF, Barry WT, Birrer M, Lee JM, Buckanovich RJ, Fleming GF, Rimel BJ, Buss MK, Nattam SR, Hurteau J, Luo W, Curtis J, Whalen C, Kohn EC, Ivy SP, Matulonis UA
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 1
- DUETTE: a phase II randomized, multicenter study to investigate the efficacy and tolerability of a second maintenance treatment in patients with platinum-sensitive relapsed epithelial ovarian cancer, who have previously received poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) inhibitor maintenance treatment.
- Authors: McMullen M, Karakasis K, Loembe B, Dean E, Parr G, Oza AM
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- A phase III, randomized, double blinded trial of platinum based chemotherapy with or without atezolizumab followed by niraparib maintenance with or without atezolizumab in patients with recurrent ovarian, tubal, or peritoneal cancer and platinum treatment free interval of more than 6 months: ENGOT-Ov41/GEICO 69-O/ANITA Trial.
- Authors: Gonzalez Martin A, Sanchez Lorenzo L, Colombo N, dePont Christensen R, Heitz F, Meirovitz M, Selle F, van Gorp T, Alvarez N, Sanchez J, Marqués C
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Olaparib combined with chemotherapy for recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: a randomised phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Oza AM, Cibula D, Benzaquen AO, Poole C, Mathijssen RH, Sonke GS, Colombo N, Špaček J, Vuylsteke P, Hirte H, Mahner S, Plante M, Schmalfeldt B, Mackay H, Rowbottom J, Lowe ES, Dougherty B, Barrett JC, Friedlander M
- Issue date: 2015 Jan